Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh oh need help fixing this brake line leak '96 Legacy

Thanks nipper, that c/kunifer was tempting but is too risky. I want something that will last. It seems steel line even aluminum or copper coated people say in super salt areas only lasts maybe 3-4 years? How about stainless steel brake line? I see summit has it: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-220236

Stainless always good. Just practice on something cheaper first :)

nipper

hehe ok thanks. Good point on the practicing first, especially before I try to cut and flare the existing line! Funny thing is Summit appears doesn't appear to sell regular steel brake line (only stainless), but the only double flare tool they sell says 'not for use on stainless'. :lol:

erm ok this vehilce is out 'o commission now until this leak is fixed. Yes yes it probably should have been out 'o commission as soon as I noticed the leak, but it got much worse today. It leaked out enough in today's trip to make the brake light come on and I could feel the pedal dropping in hard braking. Unforutnately this is my serious deep snow vehicle and right now we are getting serious deep snow, but the '94 will be up to the task I am sure!

Some supplies are on order will probalby be until next weekend until I get them and get to the job. Dang local parts stores including autozone, carquest, and pepboys seem to be USELESS for this job.

• 9 years later...