Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold Weather

Well, it was a balmy -14f this morning when going to work. My Loyale had all of it's cold weather quirks on display. Let's see. Gas pedal sticks to the floor, clutch sticks, fuel pump becomes very loud, tailgate latch malfunction, speedo cable makes the loud whirring noise for 20 sec. . I was just talking with one of my co-workers who also has a 92 loyale, and we were comparing these cold weather quirks. So, anybody else have rigs with these cold weather oddities?

the battery in my impreza is the original from when the car was made in september of 99, so it doesnt like the cold, makes it a pain to start the car in the cold. my rx loved the cold though, granted, the brake fluid light would always come on anytime the temps were below 20*f

Went ice fishing this last weekend with single digit temps...the frozen car did ok, but the battery sure was weak. Guess that'll have to be replaced before next winter for sure. When I'm home, I'll plug in the oil pan heater when it's cold out. The motor runs so quiet in the morning when i use the pan heater, the lifters haven't ticked yet since I put it on!:Flame:

-Doug

anybody else have rigs with these cold weather oddities?

Speedo cables make funny noises, as you mentioned.

The locks get stiff - varies - one I can almost not unlock, other is only "gummy" feeling. Sometimes the door gaskets get frozen to the door & glass.

Before switching to synthetic ATF, the 3ATs shift wierd.

My 87 4spd was so stiff that on the first shift from 1 to 2, it would slow almost to the point of wanting to stay in 1 - until I put synthetic gear lube in it.

On the starting stuff:

A good / new battery has about 1/4 of it's capacity at 0 degrees VS 70 degrees.

Under ideal conditions (not found in cars), a lead acid battery is near end of life (about 80% of original capacity) after 5 years.

And the starter needs a lot more current to turn the engine w/ thick oil.

I briefly entertained the idea of posting in this thread with some smart aleck comment about some spurious "quirk" my car comes up with when the temps drop "all the way" to 60.....

..but the last time I smirked about living in Paradise to you poor winterbound folks, I got hit with a 34 degree cold front and it HURT.

So I'll abstain from being a wise-rump roast. :Flame:

Went ice fishing this last weekend with single digit temps..

-Doug

:eek: You did what???

We still had open water on 3 of the small lakes near me this past Saturday. Didn't look at Baw Beese Lake, it's a fairly good size lake.

The '85 doesn't get driven that much, so I can't really say how the cold bothers it but it is cold blooded, and doesn't like to start if temp gets below 35*..

The '86 likes to do the spit,sputter,cough,choke,gag,puke thing when 1st started if temps are below 30*.

Altenator likes to sing for a few minutes if temps get below 25*.

Engine runs to cold for any real heat out of the heater when temps get below 25* too. I can watch the T-stat open/close by looking at the temp gauge while driving down the road at 55 MPH. It has a newish radiator, heater core, and Subaru T-stat. Running around town the heat is good, but get over 45 MPH, and the engine cools down.

-26 here.

Speedo cable noisy

Fuel pump relay sticks over night (have to heat the interior for about 10 minutes with a heater)

Circuit board on TCU must be going bad, shows fault when cold, after I heat the interior it's ok.

Door locks, and trunk lock, flakey

Car creaks, and moans, when driven (like every Japanese car I ever owned when operated at -20, or colder).

Of course, no high gear when cold, I'm told its "normal".

'91 Legacy Sport Sedan 325,000 miles

winterbound by choice, my friend. hard to snowboard and mountainbike, without, well mountains. i love snow and cold weather. my loyale on the other hand..... takes her a little time to wake up on these cold mornings.

Awesome, to each his own. Sounds like the Soobie just needs her own coffee of sorts.

I get to deal with air so humid you can walk through it, and mosquitoes, and the incessant influx of people who didn't get along with anyone where they came from. Florida seems like a great place to move to when you have no motivation to go anywhere specific, and we get alot of what I call "the B-Ark Crew" down here. ;)

SO, we each have our slice of Paradise, and pay our tolls.

/threadjack off, mouth shut.

:eek: You did what???

We still had open water on 3 of the small lakes near me this past Saturday. Didn't look at Baw Beese Lake, it's a fairly good size lake.

My buddy has a cottage near Houghton Lake. There was 6-8" of ice there and the surrounding areas. At least the sun was out so I'm sure it felt a couple of degrees warmer than it really was!

92 Loyale 4wd EA82 5 speed wagon. Minus 20 C (about 2 below for you Luddites) this morning. IAC decides to take the day off, cranking speed is sluggish, block heater doesn't have a plug on it, it starts but I gotta feather the gas for 5 minutes or so before I get a steady 1200 RPM fast idle, by now the w/shield is frosty inside,still haven't gotten the cooling system to where there's any heat on a cool day, let alone this morning, can't use the left rear door cause the weatherstripping has torn out of the door bottom from being frozen to the body, not a chance I'll lock any door or t/gate until spring, tires were square, rear brakes groaned and struts were solid as I pulled out of the drive, forget shifting for another 2 blocks, clock only works after 1 hour of fullbore heater, and I don't even live in a really cold place like Missoula, but I love my Subaru!!

92 Loyale 4wd EA82 5 speed wagon. Minus 20 C (about 2 below for you Luddites) this morning. IAC decides to take the day off, cranking speed is sluggish, block heater doesn't have a plug on it, it starts but I gotta feather the gas for 5 minutes or so before I get a steady 1200 RPM fast idle, by now the w/shield is frosty inside,still haven't gotten the cooling system to where there's any heat on a cool day, let alone this morning, can't use the left rear door cause the weatherstripping has torn out of the door bottom from being frozen to the body, not a chance I'll lock any door or t/gate until spring, tires were square, rear brakes groaned and struts were solid as I pulled out of the drive, forget shifting for another 2 blocks, clock only works after 1 hour of fullbore heater, and I don't even live in a really cold place like Missoula, but I love my Subaru!!

heh.. sounds like fun.... actually, missoula doesnt usually get this cold. we have a couple bouts of arctic air fun every winter, but it's normally pretty mild. nothing like my days of living back in the upper peninsula of michigan. now that was winter.