Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Cross-Drilled Rotors?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikesoob7_*

Guest_mikesoob7_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

All four rotors on my 1991 4wd wagon warp about every 10K. I do live in the mountains but mainly use the gears to brake on downhill runs as much as as possible. I torque them to 70 lb-ft. The rotors I buy are from CarQuest, not from the dealer so there may be some difference there. Still, it seems they should last longer than that. I've been thinking about getting spending the extra money for some cross-drilled rotors to see if they can bleed off heat more efficiently to stop the warping. Has anyone had any experience with cross-drilled rotors?

Mike

#2 Guest_Commuter_*

Guest_Commuter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:57 PM

My first question is... What pads are you using?

Commuter

#3 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 05:55 PM

simple answer is don't waste your money. There's a lot of info out there.

Read this www.stoptech.com/whitepap...s_myth.htm

Here's my write-up
www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/brakes.html

There's a lot of info on www.forums.nasioc.com as well.

I'd say it's a pad issue, also driving habit/style will be an issue as well.

If you want to do anything with your rotors, get them cryo-treated. I would suggest OEM rotors over any others out there, that's including brembro.

#4 Guest_1 Lucky Texan_*

Guest_1 Lucky Texan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:42 PM

OUTSTANDING links!

So which pads should we be using? Or, perhaps more helpful, which ones should we avoid?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

#5 Guest_Setright_*

Guest_Setright_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:54 AM

Avoid any "fast road" pads. Either go for standard pads or first level race pads. Fast road pads have too many abravsive particles in them, to make them work when cold. This tends to cause problems - trust me, I know.

Therefore stay away from pads like EBC GreenStuff and Mintex M1144.

I run Mintex "Red Box", which is a standard pad. I would recommed grooved discs, since they keep the pad surface clean and run a little less hot - supposedly. However, my pads "only" last 20,000 miles, since the discs keep shaving off material. It's a trade off, that I think is worth making.

#6 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2003 - 06:05 AM

I'd stick with your OEM pads for now. When you wear those down, depending on what type of braking needs you have, you may want to look into a set of axxis deluxe or ultimates.

I've got the mintex 1155 pads, supposedly a little more aggressive then the 1144's, but I have no issues with them on the street, and I do have slotted rotors. That was more my choice then anything. Stick with OEM blank rotors, or if you want, slotted.

#7 Guest_mikesoob7_*

Guest_mikesoob7_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone, great info!

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users