Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cross-Drilled Rotors?

Guest mikesoob7

Hi,

All four rotors on my 1991 4wd wagon warp about every 10K. I do live in the mountains but mainly use the gears to brake on downhill runs as much as as possible. I torque them to 70 lb-ft. The rotors I buy are from CarQuest, not from the dealer so there may be some difference there. Still, it seems they should last longer than that. I've been thinking about getting spending the extra money for some cross-drilled rotors to see if they can bleed off heat more efficiently to stop the warping. Has anyone had any experience with cross-drilled rotors?

Mike

Guest Legacy777

simple answer is don't waste your money. There's a lot of info out there.

Read this www.stoptech.com/whitepap...s_myth.htm

Here's my write-up

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/brakes.html

There's a lot of info on www.forums.nasioc.com as well.

I'd say it's a pad issue, also driving habit/style will be an issue as well.

If you want to do anything with your rotors, get them cryo-treated. I would suggest OEM rotors over any others out there, that's including brembro.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

OUTSTANDING links!

So which pads should we be using? Or, perhaps more helpful, which ones should we avoid?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Setright

Avoid any "fast road" pads. Either go for standard pads or first level race pads. Fast road pads have too many abravsive particles in them, to make them work when cold. This tends to cause problems - trust me, I know.

Therefore stay away from pads like EBC GreenStuff and Mintex M1144.

I run Mintex "Red Box", which is a standard pad. I would recommed grooved discs, since they keep the pad surface clean and run a little less hot - supposedly. However, my pads "only" last 20,000 miles, since the discs keep shaving off material. It's a trade off, that I think is worth making.

Guest Legacy777

I'd stick with your OEM pads for now. When you wear those down, depending on what type of braking needs you have, you may want to look into a set of axxis deluxe or ultimates.

I've got the mintex 1155 pads, supposedly a little more aggressive then the 1144's, but I have no issues with them on the street, and I do have slotted rotors. That was more my choice then anything. Stick with OEM blank rotors, or if you want, slotted.