Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank Sensor vs. Cam Sensor???

ok guys this may be a fairly silly question but bear with me the vehicle is a 96' legacy ej22.......if your crank sensor goes bad will you have spark? also if your cam sensor goes bad will you have spark?......I have gotten mixed answers on this question so i thought i might try the experts....thanks for your knowledge fellas! :) ( I have heard that the cam. sensor controls fuel and the crank sensor controls ignition....would the fuel and ign. just cut if either of them didnt work?)

Hm...well it does make sense, at least for soob which has the 'waste spark' setup of firing two cylinders at a time. For spark it only needs to know the position of the crank, however for fuel, it does need to know which cylinder to inject at any given time (hence fuel injection depending on cam angle sensor).

-sea #3 that is a very informative article...i tried searching the endwrench archives before i put out this thread but i guess i didnt type in the correct words or something....nonetheless thank you....:)

Search doest really work on endwrench, you have to thumb through the articles acording to system. And the tranny section disapears from time to time, so you have to google that one.

nipper

Also some good endwrench articles don't show up in their search because the article contains mis-spelled or oddly spelled words. Like 'axel' instead of 'axle' and I know I've seen a few others but I forgot what they were....

Ah cool, they type like me

:banana:

nipper