Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagon -> Hatch tail shaft

I have a 83 wagon tail shaft (the shaft that goes from the gear box to the rear diff). And i have an 83 hatch which i will be soon converting to 4wd. Can i use the Wagon tail shaft on the hatch? or is it too long?

I have one more question... how big of a lift kit do i need to avoid having to change the fuel tank in the hatch to the 4wd style tank?

Some people have told me a 3 inch lift kit will just clear the diff but it may hit sometimes... others have said a 4 inch will be needed... Has anyone done it??

thanks guys

Dave

what about a 4wd automatic ea82 driveshaft. because its shorter than the 5spds, snd the spd fits in an ea81 wagon(w/ 5spd)

so if the autos is shorter, would it be the right length for a hatch( if doing a 5spd swap)?

you could also look for 4wd hatch driveshafts

The reason i am asking is because im in Australia. There are only about 5 hatches here and i don't know of any of them being 4wd. Hence...getting a 4wd hatch shaft is impossible in this country. By the sounds of it i will have to get a custom one made. Any idea how much shorter the hatch shafts are? What if i put an ea82 gear box into it.... will that allow me to use the ea81 wagon tail shaft?

Thanks for the help guys... most people in Australia are un-aware that this vehicle even exists

Dave

Yes, you will need to get a custom job. All of the EA82 driveshafts are too long. I also reccommend that when they build it have them do servicable u-joints at the same time. It'll cost a little more but is very worth it in the long run.

You can have the two piece alterred or have them make a longer one piece unit.

Thanks for all the info. I was wondering if someone could do me a HUGE favour. Due to there being no such thing as a hatch tail shaft in Australia.... could someone out there do some quick measurements and tell me how much shorter the hatch tail shaft is compared to the wagon or brumby shaft. Im guessing it's close to 50mm. Thanks

Dave

Just keep this one. I forgot to check, sorry. I'll get it this weekend and post it for you. I think I can take pics of at least three of the drivelines.

I don't know what it would take but I have a custom driveline that was from my Maroon Hatch. Shipping would probably be very expensive a long waiting. Plus, I need at least $200.00us for it.

Ken

Thanks Qman.

Yeah i think it would be too pricey to get it sent over and pay for the shaft. If i have the measurements it would be cheaper to get one made. Then i can just take a Wagon shaft in and tell them how much i want it shortened by.

I have been offered an ej22 to put in the hatch so i may not even end up making it have an ea81 4wd gear box but i would still need the measurements just incase.

Thanks again.

Dave