Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went offroading...

Hello,

Went offroading. Does very well. But I am pretty sure I need a new clutch...

I have a 1980 BRAT with PUG Wheels. Does very well offroad, had a great time, But It became edivent that my clutch is not holding very well under stress. (especially after its warm.) On VERY steep hills I can get stuck (i.e. engine reving, all wheels not spinning at all. Clutch slipping... clutch works fine for normal driving, just when i ask it to hold on during hard situations. What is the best way to go about getting a clutch? Thanks.

Also, I know this has been discussed before, but its very dificult to find the FInal answer. Can i get a dual range for this car? Thanks.

A dual range can be installed in anything if you want to do it. I believe the 81 Brats had an available 4 speed dual range tranny, which would directly bolt up to the stock EA71 motor.

-Bill

Great!

OK, Now here is the hard part for me. I live in Dallas, Texas. (there is not many here.) My Brat is the only one I have ever seen. How would I go about finding one of these transmissions? Thanks.

Hey I have to add to this thread because I have been driving my '79 brat regularly, about 80 miles a day. Absolutely love it by the way, it gets so many looks and approving nods.

But the clutch feels unlike any other and I wonder if it is going bad. I can't really get the car to 'lug'. If I'm going say 40, and I throw it into fourth and gas it, the engine seems to rev very high before the car feels like it catches up to itself. Kind of like the clutch is slipping. Is this normal?

But I've been driving the care like that for a couple of months now and that's what confuses me. Because in my experience, if a clutch is going bad, it really doesn't take too long. And also in first gear, it doesn't seem to slip. If I'm in first and I gas it really hard and let out the clutch, I'll actually peel out, the clutch won't slip at all.

Commetns? Opinions? Thanks in advance,

Crabman

Crabman

I do know that that is not the way the clutch should be.... The clutch should grab and hold on (except under extreme circumstances). The clutch friction needed to move the car increases each gear. 4th puts most stress on clutch... 1st is the least. My clutch still grabs fine for daily driving, but it is weak when put under high stress and will slip alot. I have seen the centerforce clutches used in the borg warner for F cars. I didnt know (until yesterday) that they made clutches that would fit the subarus....

Scott,

Good advice... about the clutch. I have this extremely mean hill i want to get up, Can get up about 3/4 the way up Its about 30' tall pile of dirt about 300 feet long on the trinity river authority land. its a very steep angle nearly a 45. The subaru looses momentum....IF i rev and drop clutch, I slip... I bet you guys that have a low range could scale it pretty easily....

I am still not used to small engines. I have had all my life V8s. The last one I had was my favorite... 94 Caprice 9C1 (police package) has a LT1, I installed 3.73 gears, limited slip differential, racing clutches, kevlar bands, 2200 stall and some good rubber. That car athough very heavy could accelerate in any gear at any engine speed very quickly and would do about 140 MPH. Then I sold it (12/21.5 MPG) and got a ford focus 4 banger. was totally uninspiring.... Then I got intrested in Subarus, sold Focus for money. Bought 1980 BRAT for $800. I am getting used to 80 FT pounds of torque instead of 330 and having a ball doing it. I am still suprised by how much low end grunt my little 1600 has, Its so much fun to mud in, all the looks and questions I get living around Dallas. most people here have never seen a BRAT. Its funny the first subaru I actually noticed was a WRX with some loud pipes... I heard this car in the parking lot and was like ?what? sounds like a VW beetle on steroids. Then I saw the rear differential.... the rest is history, now myself and my dad both have Subarus.

damn, i just babel on and on....

later

-Daniel