Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New guy with a few Subarus...

Hi, all. I'm Colin from St. Cloud, Minnesota. I've been fixing up an old '86 GL wagon for my sister to drive. I replaced the rear beam/subframe, pulled the engine to reseal a leak between the cam carriers and heads, and now I'm having some trouble getting it to idle down. I'm more comfortable with Megasquirt than a carburetor. :-\ I've been poking around the internet for information on the EA82 and this chassis and I stumbled upon you guys. So... howdy hey. :)

Oh yeah, my daily driver/winter beater is a '90 Sambar. :headbang:

0.jpg

13.jpg

Colin

I suspected I had a giant vacuum leak somewhere, so I tore all the extraneous B.S. emissions stuff off the engine today, pretty much got it down to the bare essentials: distributor advance, transmission line (it's an A/T :-\ ), brake booster, etc... capped the rest of the nipples. Nice and tidy in the engine bay now - I can actually see what I'm working on! :clap:

Anyway, it still idles at 4,000 RPM.

I decided to "freshen up" some of the engine's ancillaries while I had it on the stand - I put new bearings in all the idler and tensioner pulleys, put new timing belts on it, some new gaskets, and I rebuilt the carb. I think I broke the carb.

I'm thinking of neutral-dropping this thing at 4,000 RPM into the back end of my dad's Forester, hopefully causing enough damage to total it out... then I can rob his EJ25. :headbang:

Colin

Howdy Colin, way kewl Sanbar

back to your original question

check the secondary barrel of the carb

and make sure it's throttle plate is closed.

I'm sure you already looked at throttle linkage

too tight ect.

have you checked the throttle shaft for play? This sounds like it may well be a whacked out carburetor.

Just remember, the carb does EVERYTHING in hardware, so if it is not a precise-feeling, well-oiled machine (think like a watch or a fishing reel) then it AINT gonna run right. The Good News? SPFI conversion is not very difficult at all.

i LOVE the rims on the sambar, :headbang: