Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new project lifted EA82 with EJ22 and no computer

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#51 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:13 AM

got it running good tonight, it would die after it ran awhile, ended up being the fuel pump was only on when the starter was going, I wired in a different fuel pump as the fuel injected one gave it too much pressure, cant wait to drive it,

#52 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:10 AM

Again, brilliant.

I know many are enamored with down draft webers, but just for argument/brainstorming, what about using a side-draft carb that feeds to the MAF inlet, and cone filter on the carb's other end occupying the spare tire area?

Mikunis, Dellortos, Webers ( I know, they're spendy) VW Kardins?

#53 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

Again, brilliant.

I know many are enamored with down draft webers, but just for argument/brainstorming, what about using a side-draft carb that feeds to the MAF inlet, and cone filter on the carb's other end occupying the spare tire area?

Im up to it, send me a carb and I will make the adapter

#54 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,409 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

make your adjustment for base tuning first.then mess with the advance.glad to hear it working out for you.did it work out for you as easily as you wanted it to?cheers, brian

#55 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

make your adjustment for base tuning first.then mess with the advance.glad to hear it working out for you.did it work out for you as easily as you wanted it to?cheers, brian

worked great, thanks Brian

#56 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

Looking good Scott! Cant wait to hear that thing run!!

hear it run

#57 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

That is one smooooooooooooooth ej22 especially with a carb. Amazing.

#58 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

Sweet, that thing runs real good:clap:

Jeff

#59 Rollie715

Rollie715

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

I want one! Where do I get in line?

Looks like I need to shop around for a distributor and carb.

#60 elfdowney

elfdowney

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Florida & Washington

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZified
Again, brilliant.

Im up to it, send me a carb and I will make the adapter

Hey ya'll what type side-draft carb would be best? That way you wouldn't need to cut the hood, maybe?

Scott........pm sent

Larry

#61 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

Scott........pm sent

Larry

your mailbox is full

#62 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ok took the car out on its first trip put 100 miles on it , hears a pic of it sneakin threw the hood this is with the engine lowered with a 2" block so on a stock car the filter would be sittin 2" higher ,I learned a few things first the stock EA82 radiator with only 1 fan dont cut it for off road use, need to upgrade to a bigger rad and 2 fans, second I had replaced the stock FI pump with a lower presure carb pump and installed it under the hood, this doesnt work as the pump has to suck and it ends up suckin air, so we swapped it to the stock location under the car and the problem went away, thanks everyone for helping and waiting on the carb swap, 3rd this weber I put on came off a EA81 car and on the EJ22 its starving , so I either need to rejet it or replace it with a larger carb more matched to this size engine, now this is were I need some help from you carb experts, what size Carb would work best with this 2.2 liter and what should hte jetting be? all in all I really like the new setup, it has way more lowerend power then the EA82 which was nice for offroad

Posted Image

#63 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

The Jeep 4.2 is capable of running 6000rpm on that carb, so the size should not be an issue. What color are your plugs? Any signs of detonation?

Your fuel pump may not be keeping up, either.

#64 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

the stock EA82 radiator with only 1 fan dont cut it for off road use, need to upgrade to a bigger rad and 2 fans

hmm.....what fan are you using? my old crappy loyale was plenty with the aftermarket electric fan I'm using. heck, I haven't used the fan at all all winter. only time I have problems is when the front of the car is caked with snow....

how's the rest of the cooling system? water pump, tstat, etc.

#65 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

hmm.....what fan are you using? my old crappy loyale was plenty with the aftermarket electric fan I'm using. heck, I haven't used the fan at all all winter. only time I have problems is when the front of the car is caked with snow....

how's the rest of the cooling system? water pump, tstat, etc.

found one problem the top rad hose has a pin hole leak, also the carb is smaller then a 32/36, not sure but I think its off a Fiat will swap out this week with a bigger 32/36, still looking for jetting info, I guess I will do the trial and arror method, the car runs cool on the road, it was only offroad I had cooling issues

#66 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,409 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

a 32/36 jetted for an ea series car is fine.if you go any bigger on your jets your just wasting fuel.i tried three different setups and i ended up back at the starting point because of fuel consumption.

whatever redline jets them as is what you want.might mess with idle control but that is about it.

cheers,brian

#67 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Port Moody, BC(Vancouver)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

Scott. Nice work man.

I just bought an ej22 from my mechanic. And my lift should be here in a week or so. Think you could pm me a christmas list or better yet post it here for everyone. Need ALL the parts to make this happen.

Also, could I send the intake manifold down to get setup for a weber 32/36? And send a disty down to be ground.

#68 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

OK switched out the carb, heres the one I had on it , it says WEBER on it think it might be off a Fiat not sure, notice how tall the bottom plate is, it worked great on the EA81 but not on the EJ22

Posted Image

heres the 32/36 all hooked up ,got it off a Datsun pickup and went threw it , boy what a differencre, I love this car, cant wait to go offroading again, it really goes now ,way better then the EA82, Im not going back,

Posted Image

#69 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

Also, what do you do with all the old sensors etc... Do you just yank em and chuck them? Or put bolts from where they came from? And Vacuum lines same thing?

Dont think I have any more questions.

#70 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:24 AM

Oh, And I cannot access your webpage. Is it me or is it down?

#71 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

OK switched out the carb, heres the one I had on it , it says WEBER on it think it might be off a Fiat not sure, notice how tall the bottom plate is, it worked great on the EA81 but not on the EJ22

Posted Image

heres the 32/36 all hooked up ,got it off a Datsun pickup and went threw it , boy what a differencre, I love this car, cant wait to go offroading again, it really goes now ,way better then the EA82, Im not going back,

Posted Image

You wanna set up another wheeling trip soon scott. I want to take the new wagon up once I pick it up and drop the new motor in I got this far today.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image She was really dirty wish I had a before pic. Just need one head and head Gaskets and she is ready......"Lets go Wheeling" Eah?
:lol:
Jeff

#72 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

Scott. Nice work man.

I just bought an ej22 from my mechanic. And my lift should be here in a week or so. Think you could pm me a christmas list or better yet post it here for everyone. Need ALL the parts to make this happen.

Also, could I send the intake manifold down to get setup for a weber 32/36? And send a disty down to be ground.

I will work up a list of all the parts needed and post it here , on the manifold Im going to do the next one with a holesaw in a hand drill to see if the average guy with basic shop tools can do it , I will offer this service for those that dont want to tackle it

#73 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

Also, what do you do with all the old sensors etc... Do you just yank em and chuck them? Or put bolts from where they came from? And Vacuum lines same thing?

Dont think I have any more questions.

dont need them chuck em, , plug up all the water lines and vacume lines,

#74 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

You wanna set up another wheeling trip soon scott. I want to take the new wagon up once I pick it up and drop the new motor in I got this far today.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image She was really dirty wish I had a before pic. Just need one head and head Gaskets and she is ready......"Lets go Wheeling" Eah?
:lol:
Jeff

lets go after you get my/your car going,
just run it that way on 2 cylinders:lol: :banana: :lol: :eek: :-\

#75 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

just run it that way on 2 cylinders:lol: :banana: :lol: :eek: :-\