Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 xt-6 cutting out under load

my 89 xt-6 keeps cutting out under load, i've replaced the filter, pump, coil, full tune-up, t-belts and it keeps doing it. can it be the pick-up in the disty, and can that be tested?? :confused: its my dream car, but i'm about to sale it, please help me:Flame:

Hi xoomer, I feel your pain

I loved my XT 6

Problems like this with no CEL

sure can get frustrating.

Sounds a"fuelish" to me

Have you looked at the MAF by chance?

Maybe the FPR* is knackered.

(*Fuel Pressure Regulator)

How old is the 02 sensor?

If you have not asked here

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/

I would do so.

Not much help I know but...

I said it on the XT board and I will say it here..Look for a crack in the snorkle..they are prone to it and it can cause this issue..been there.. done that.. got the T shirt. :)

Dont just look at it either..you will have to flex it a bit to see it. I didnt discover mine till I actually removed it.

My gl-10 was just doing this too. Still isnt 100% fixed but hassent actually "cut out" again, sure does feel like it wants to but hasent. It seems mine is related to boost, If I stay in the boost, climbing a few hills in a row, it will cut out, but electrical is still on and car is still running. I had been playing around w/ 89 and 92 finding what octane it runs better on. I havent run 89 since that incedent, replaced the o2 sensor and retimed it a few times, checked the tps and temp control sensors.

Good luck, im going threw the exact same thing right now.

Jess

just a few questions to ask.

Does it do just fine when idleing? And as soon as you engage it in gear it starts chocking and sputtering?

This may sound strange but it helped me a lil bit. See 3 tips of my fuel injectors were shattered. and 2 were blown out. What i did and this actually worked for bout 8 months was take a pair of vice grips. by the fuel rail where all the fuel lines run in/out. find the return fuel line. if standind on the driver side of the engine it should be the farthest line of the 3 on the left. crimp the return fuel line almost completley off. if you do this while the engine is idleing you should hear a change. rpms should increase slightly. then try to drive it again. you might have to adjust it tighter or looser.

people may think im crazy and yes that may be. or if you wanna take a different route at it pull apart your injectors and inspect them. never hurts

Crimping the return line just increases the fuel pressure which increases the amount of fuel delivered to the injectors. I did this years ago on a turbo wagon along with a RRFPR with an initial setting of 50 pounds. Ran it for years with 15 pounds of boost with absolutely no problems.

Well I think I have found it.. replace the fuel pump, Still no good. poped the tank open... whiteish yellow coloring.... so I put some octane booster and some heat... Driving a lot better.... also realized that there was quite a bit of gas in the tank... I'm trying to run it down and then I'm going to suck out all of the crap in the bottom of the tank... is there a way to service the filter inside the tank or is just Replace the tank??

is there a filter in the tank? there is a small one in line at the fule pump that I have cleaned debris out of on several of my FI models including my XT6, it's actually pressed into the intake end of the pump. If you can drop the tank and clean it all the better could be nasty in there from what you said. restomotive makes a kit to clean and reseal fule tanks if you get that far.

I had to take my tank out and dump all the nasty piss yellow gas out into a bucket then I Took it to my local do it yourself spray carwash and pressure washed the living daylights out of it from every angle possible... Fixed my problem and I was able to drive the car 1,400 mi. without a hitch.

I had to take my tank out and dump all the nasty piss yellow gas out into a bucket then I Took it to my local do it yourself spray carwash and pressure washed the living daylights out of it from every angle possible... Fixed my problem and I was able to drive the car 1,400 mi. without a hitch.

I'm not going that far.... I'm just gonna run some of this fuel down suck out the rest and scoop what I can out.....:headbang: At this point I'm pretty sure its just bad gas because I put an octane booster in and the problem got better.