Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback H6 Timing Chain Tensioners Question

Sorry, Nipper. It's Sunday, I guess my eyes took the day off.

Skip, clean, fresh oil is imperative to any engine with a timing chain, not just the H6. The good thing about a timing chain is that you usually have plenty of chain rattling warning before it breaks, unlike a timing belt that just goes.

Sorry, Nipper. It's Sunday, I guess my eyes took the day off.

Skip, clean, fresh oil is imperative to any engine with a timing chain, not just the H6. The good thing about a timing chain is that you usually have plenty of chain rattling warning before it breaks, unlike a timing belt that just goes.

Tis ok :)

i can even find any mention ANYWHERE on the net about the replacment, aside from the 100 bolts, and a few bad tensioners that were replaced by subaru when those few cars came in for service.

nipper

When I reach the point it needs a timing chain, I guess I'll open 'er up and see which of those parts it actually needs- you might not get 150,000 out of the 2nd set that way, but unless there's a good body of evidence that all those parts are toast...

Hmmm, but what a great excuse to buy a 6 from a wreck when the car hits 100,000 and slowly do a rebuild, and have a new hi-po engine ready to go right then...

Dave

I think only time will tell on the timing chain versus belt saga, but I do like my 02 LL Bean versus my my 2.2 and 2.5 legacy's and outbacks----all but the seats. I think the leather seats in the 02 LL Bean models are too hard.

I liked my cloth seats better. Overall they are softer, and warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

I like the sunroofs, weather station band on the radio etc.

Also, better cupholders for my java additiction.

Dude, Thanks for the tip, I have been changing

the oil on all my rides at 3kmi for a long time.

I just wondered if synth would help timing chain longevity.

Dave, were you the person who mentioned

the rear muffler bypass system?

3pin, I think the VDC may have different seats as ours are great.

Heaters work fantastic,

and even with a one foot

height difference,

the Captain and I find a comfy settings

easily.

but

Maybe I'm butt de-sensitized by my Brat???

When I reach the point it needs a timing chain, I guess I'll open 'er up and see which of those parts it actually needs- you might not get 150,000 out of the 2nd set that way, but unless there's a good body of evidence that all those parts are toast...

Hmmm, but what a great excuse to buy a 6 from a wreck when the car hits 100,000 and slowly do a rebuild, and have a new hi-po engine ready to go right then...

Dave

HEY bacak away from that wreck, let some of us who want to do a retrofit get a chance.

Looking at the drawings on 1stsubaru alot of those guides are friction guides, so they take a beating. The idlers may not be bad, as they are in a lubricated area.

nipper

with these being around since what 2002?

If this was a problem

I think we'd have seen more mention of this

even though not that many were sold/made.

Maybe it's wishful thinking also.

well we need to get people to drive the hell out fo them some more. i would get one on the next sooby if i can be convinced it will go way over 200K :).

Of course if i start buying parts now ...

hrmmmm

i wonder if the timing on the chains is easier to set then the belt. Otherwise it looks like a straight forward can be done all day in the driveway kind of thing.

just dont loose any bolts. Imagine if they are all differnt sizes? Personally i would chaneg a chain anyday over a belt, but thats just me. At least they didnt bury it in th the back of the engine.

nipper

well I just was under there changing oil

sure is not a lot of room

One thing the 02 sensor I have to change is

a piece of cake

.... to get to.

(Note: not wanting to jinx the op I said

get to...not get out)

I blaster'd it and will do so again and again and again

Thanks a lot for all the info everyone. Yes I am located in Halifax, NS, Canada. I am looking at importing a 2003 from the US. Once I get the car back to canada, the car must meet the following (or I must apply modifications to meet the following):

Recall clearance letter (This should not be a problem)

ü The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. statement of compliance label at the time of

importation.

ü The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you

after passing the federal inspection.

ü Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN

ü Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)

ü Daytime running lights

ü Child restraint tether anchorage hardware kit

ü Child restraint tether anchorage point locations

(refer to Admissibility List)

ü 8 km/hour bumpers (refer to Admissibility List)

ü French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic

Anyone have any ideas if I might have to make any changes to an 2003 Outback sold in the US to meet the above conditions?

According to: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VAFUS.pdf , most Subaru models (as well as those of some other manufacturers -- read the chart carefully) are both admissible and inadmissible! Maybe someone should explain the difference between the two words to whomever put that info together. :rolleyes:

Good luck; I have a feeling you may need it.

Just to contribute to the discussion on timing chain life. While not Sooby on my Saab 9000 the original TC was still going fine when I let it go at 188,000 miles. Ran 12,000 miles between oil and filter changes and used Mobil 1 synth in it from 90,000 miles onwards. Admitedly changing the chain on it would have been a much simpler and cheaper job that the Sooby.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2003 Outback H6, with 127,000 Miles. Purchased the vehicle about 12 hours away from where I live, had the subaru dealer in the area I bought it take a quick look before I drove the car home, and it's making a slight ticking type of noise at idle. The dealer told me I needed to replace the timing chain tensioners, which is approx ($200 in parts) + about 5-6 hours of Labour. They told me I don't need to change the timing chain. My question is does this make sense? Or should I replace the chain as well. They told me they can replace the tensioners without having to remove the chain/set timing again. Thanks for any suggestions.

Also, does anyone know a list of the parts I will need for this job? Searched the threads and couldn't find any info or procedure on the replacement process, going to get my private mechanic to do it, but he has never replaced a chain/tensioners on a subaru before was hoping I could print him off some kind of directions just incase.

As well I have noticed a humming/whining kind of noise (but almost sounds like very lightly plastic scraping) when driving (only happens in gear and with foot on the gas) noise goes away when letting off the gas or coasting down hill). Could this be a noise also caused by the timing tensioner problem? Or does this sound like it might be a front differential/or transmission gear issue?

- Sorry for all the posts, I forgot that I could just editing the existing.

So here are the details after looking at the car on the hoist:

- humming noise/whining noise is coming from the front Differential, actually when you put a screw driver up to the front differential and put your ear against it, it sounds more like a grinding noise. My question now is can you buy a used Front differential or does it simply come with the transmission? Would I be better off rebuilding the front Differential? Fluid level was full, I will drain and replace fluid and see if noise changes at all first.

• 5 months later...

Noise Ended up being the Transmission, quote from the dealership was around $5K. Luckily I ended up finding a subaru tech from a dealership in another town who is very knowledgable and does work on the side. He ended up Rebuilding the tranmission for me. $500 parts and $500 Labour.

As well I have noticed a humming/whining kind of noise (but almost sounds like very lightly plastic scraping) when driving (only happens in gear and with foot on the gas) noise goes away when letting off the gas or coasting down hill). Could this be a noise also caused by the timing tensioner problem? Or does this sound like it might be a front differential/or transmission gear issue?

- Sorry for all the posts, I forgot that I could just editing the existing.

So here are the details after looking at the car on the hoist:

- humming noise/whining noise is coming from the front Differential, actually when you put a screw driver up to the front differential and put your ear against it, it sounds more like a grinding noise. My question now is can you buy a used Front differential or does it simply come with the transmission? Would I be better off rebuilding the front Differential? Fluid level was full, I will drain and replace fluid and see if noise changes at all first.

Noise Ended up being the Transmission, quote from the dealership was around $5K. Luckily I ended up finding a subaru tech from a dealership in another town who is very knowledgable and does work on the side. He ended up Rebuilding the tranmission for me. $500 parts and $500 Labour.

1K? Deal!

Dave