Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

The rubbery/foamy stuff that covers the steering wheel of my Legacy is getting loose, ie the outside spins around the core. This results in an ugly and loose steering response. In short, I don't like it much.

Is there any way to fix this, like injecting some glue so that the covers sticks back to the core?

Any idea welcome, thanks.

Jean

ok so its time to revive this thread...

i worked on the steering wheel today.. and it worked!!!

well i wen to home depot and got the Loctite Super Glue Professional Bottle, its a 0.7oz bottle with a long tip, just like the classic Krazy glue tip.

so on the back of your steering wheel at 10 and 2 oclock, you'll find some holes, get a small screw driver and just stick in there till you feel the metal of the steering wheel, sorta make the hole loose a little :lol:

then stick the tip of the glue as far as you can in a angle towards where the problem is.. squeeze some glue in there, turn the steering wheel towards the problems and leave there for a few mnts (5 mnts for me)... so if your steering wheel is loose on top and you start doing it on the right, turn your steering wheel to the left in order for the glue to run off to the center... do the same to the other side. You may have to make a hole in the center part if your foam cushion is too loose, i had to. Be careful no to put too much glue as it will squirt all over as you are pressing the steering wheel on those 5 mnts wait..

i just hope this helps our problem...

my steering wheel is as solid as new now :banana: :banana:

cheers

Neo

ok so its time to revive this thread...

i worked on the steering wheel today.. and it worked!!!

well i wen to home depot and got the Loctite Super Glue Professional Bottle, its a 0.7oz bottle with a long tip, just like the classic Krazy glue tip.

so on the back of your steering wheel at 10 and 2 oclock, you'll find some holes, get a small screw driver and just stick in there till you feel the metal of the steering wheel, sorta make the hole loose a little :lol:

then stick the tip of the glue as far as you can in a angle towards where the problem is.. squeeze some glue in there, turn the steering wheel towards the problems and leave there for a few mnts (5 mnts for me)... so if your steering wheel is loose on top and you start doing it on the right, turn your steering wheel to the left in order for the glue to run off to the center... do the same to the other side. You may have to make a hole in the center part if your foam cushion is too loose, i had to. Be careful no to put too much glue as it will squirt all over as you are pressing the steering wheel on those 5 mnts wait..

i just hope this helps our problem...

my steering wheel is as solid as new now :banana: :banana:

cheers

Neo

Thanks for the follow up report after you finished the glue work. Glad it worked for you. I printed out your "how to" as a project to do when the weather warms up.

IF you can get the glue inside the opening, IT WILL CURE - the cyanoacrylate glues are ANAEROBIC but work better with "small clearances"

(they cure in LACK of air, not "dry" IN air - it's why superglue stays liquid until you press your fingers together :-\ . Try the "gel" version if you can - it's "thicker" and doesn't need the thin mating surface to set up the bond) :grin:

IF you can get the glue inside the opening, IT WILL CURE - the cyanoacrylate glues are ANAEROBIC but work better with "small clearances"

(they cure in LACK of air, not "dry" IN air - it's why superglue stays liquid until you press your fingers together :-\ . Try the "gel" version if you can - it's "thicker" and doesn't need the thin mating surface to set up the bond) :grin:

BTW - IF you can get URETHANE glue in there it's better - it bonds to both metal and "rubber" (the wheel coating isn't actually "rubber" - it's a synthetic)