Ultimate Subaru Message Board

parking lights and DRLs

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I thought I'd combine these 2 questions which are probably easily explained.

1. What is the reason/difference between the 2 ways parking lights are turned in my '03 OBW? There is a switch on top of the steerong column in addirion to the rotating stalk switch. If there is no reason for this, could the SC switch be re-wired for something different in the future?

2. The DRLs seem to just be the low beams. Is this normal? I thought they would be a reduced brightness but I can detect no difference in brightness when I use the satlk switch to actually turn on the headlights. High beams are OK .

tia

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest hocrest

The rotating stalk switch is powered by the position of the ignition switch... No key=No Lights

The SC switch is right from the batt... The parking lights stay on with the car turned off and the key removed.

As far as the DTRL's, I don't know my 97 doesn't have them. Since the headlights turn off with the car, my headlights are on 90% of the time.

Guest Commuter

I have a Canadian 97 OB. We've had DRL's by law here since the late 80's. On my car, the DRL is a "reduced" output low beam. There is a definite difference in the light output between DRL and low beam setting. Slight, but definite.

(DRL can be done several ways. Our Honda uses a reduced output high beam. Both vehicles use the H4 bulb coincidenlty. Many Chryslers use the orange parking lights for DRL. I think a few vehicles even have dedicated DRL lights. The regulations are quite flexible.)

I don't know what Subaru is doing on the current generation of vehicles. I'd be surprised though if it was a full power low beam. That's just a guess.

Commuter

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I'm beginning to think that they ARE reduced but do not brighten up when the headlight switch is turned on. maybe a bad relay somewhere? The high beams come on but there is NO difference ,however subtle, when I turn on the headlights.

Shouldn't I notice this in the garage or is it so subtle it is only noticeable at night?

I've never had a vehicle with DRLs before.

I suppose I could check the voltage at the bulb but I'll be taking this to the dealer in a coupla weeks anyway. I'll have 'em check.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

OK - I think my lights are working correctly now. The rotating switch on the stalk may have been dirty or something. One of the lights blinked brighter when I was trying it again this afternoon(even had the hood up to start to look at relays). I was able to exercise it back and forth and now the DRLs get noticeably brighter every time. Or maybe something inside is intermittent? Anyway,they're working now.

And the manual does mention the difference between the parking light swithces.

thanx

Carl

1 Lucky Texan