Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Gen Brat Lift

v8vega215

I tryed a search on this and came up with nothing so Im sorry if this has been posted before.

I was thinking about lifting my 79DL brat when I graduate in the summer (more free time). I was wondering if you could do this more than three inches, Mudrat can build me a lift of 3" but I was hopeing for more. Qman told me that the best bet is to sub in a seconed gen rear suspention and sub-frame. Anybody try this or know of an easyer way that will give me the same structural integrity.

6" or more would be cool.:cool:

i had the idea of usint the ea81 rear suspension in the gen1 brat

on the front, the ea81 crossmember will bolt up, so wouldnt that mean an ea81 lift will work in the front?

and a lift in the rear can adapt the mounts for the suspenion frame, you might be able to use ea81 gas tank

the diff bar hanger will bolt up the same as an ea81

PKDavis does not make Gen 1 lift kits.

Gen 1's are hard to lift - Mudrat schooled me on that when I asked him. Would be expensive I think.... never seen one with more than 3", and while I'm sure it could be done, it would require much modification. Your looking at probably $1000 for 6" is my guess due to all the fabrication that must be done, but exact numbers would have to come from John.

Also - if you go higher than 3", you almost certainly will have to convert to a HiPo EA81, cause the EA71 you have isn't going to cut it pushing those big tires, and besides that you will want the 5 speed D/R in there anyway, and if your going to that much trouble, you might as well swap out the engine too.....

On second thougth - it would be well over $1000 considering that you'll need the front cross-member and steering linkage modified to fit an EA81, and the trans linkage redone - as well as the cost of the engine and transmission - plus the lift and any fabrication that goes along with it.....

Add to all that the cost of custom bumpers and brush gaurd.... and a roll bar with lights and everything..... maybe a winch.

Not trying to discourage you - I think a lifted Gen 1 Brat would be awsome.... but you should know that the cost is going to be higher than a Gen 2 due to the difficulty, and it's lack of useable engine and tranny.

I would say 3" is perfectly doable... still not going to have any power with the 1.6 and big tires - but would be driveable. And your lack of a D/R is going to be a killer off-road. Would look mean, but without the engine and tranny it would be all show.

Or you could buy a Gen 2, and lift if for $375 yourself (PKDavis lift)....

GD

A 4" lift was done on a gen 1 Brat here in the Seattle area a couple years ago. It was sort of an end-of-life experience for the vehicle so I'm pretty sure some of the blocks etc were welded straight to the unibody. The whole project was done in a very short time (monster garage style) but the structural stuff held up to major abuse. Axles on the other hand...ouch how many did he go through that weekend?

Jason went through quite a few axles that weekend. He had to take the broken ones and start rebuilding them on the tailgate. The lift did indeed hold up though.

The lift is doable. But... it will require a lot of fabbing in the rear. Either swapping in different rear suspension or building from the original. The biggest problem with using the original rear suspension is that the rear arms are too close to the tires already. This will drastically limit the tires and or wheels you can use.

Get very familiar with your Brat's suspension and then you will get the idea of what we are talking about. Again, it has been done and will work. You just need to decide how much you are willing to spend.

That's right, Jason thought up, fabricated, and installed his 4 inch lift in ONE weekend. I'm betting the cost was less than 50 bucks out of his pocket. (he had access to the metals he used and possessed his own welder)

He had 28 inch tires, used his ea71 and a dual range 4 speed.

It can be done, and can be done fairly cheap, don't listen to nay sayers.

Also - you should know - your engine won't bolt up to a D/R tranny without a bell houseing change. There were EA71's with the proper bell housing in later model cars..... I'm not totally sure but you may be able to swap the bell housing off an EA81?? Still - if you going to all that trouble why not just do the EA81? Either way you need that D/R - for the gearing, and for the clutch. The EA81 '83+ clutch is MUCH bigger, and when I had the little clutch in my car it slipped badly with big tires because it was just too small and didn't have enough surface area.

Jared had an EA71 in his wagon with D/R and it does just fine off-road... with a 3" lift. I was thinking more about the on-road handling. When I talked to Mudrat who had just driven Jared's car to his shop, he said it was quite gutless with the swampers on it (on the freeway). Going over the pass at high altitude was not fun he said.

Like I said - 3" or 4" would be fine - just have to get the D/R tranny in there.... anything higher and your pushing the limits of the 1.6 for tire sizes. 28" would be alright, but a 6" lift can accomidate around a 31..... that's a lot of tire to move with that little engine.

GD

My plans for the truck is to go with an ea81 that I got with the truck as well as the subframe and front suspension, this had the auto trans still bolted up, I also want to go with the 5-speed dual range with a limited slip out back. I was thinking about swaping in the 4.11 ring and pinion out of the trans that is in the truck now. The lift that I want to do would set the truck apart from all the other gen 1s because I have never seen a gen 1 lifted, I would just be the coolest truck that I would ever own. I chose the gen 1 because I think it has better style than the gen 2, so Im not concerned with the cost to much, I dont want to go crazy with it but 2-3k isnt out of the picture. I wouldent mind going a little cheaper but this is suposed to be the last vehical I ever buy. Im going to try to get started on this project when I graduate in the summer so im just looking for sugestions so I can get a good plan going before I spend a lot of money just to change my mind half-way through.

Thanx for all the replys:-)

Hey Vega......

Call me back and we'll talk about the sky being the limit....:wave:

When we chatted, you didn't get very specific.....?

I said 3" is easily done, To go more is Harder, but can be done.....

We can go 12" if you want....:)

For optimum drivability and Effect on those around you....Go with this.....

8" lift, Ea-81 Motor Stock or Pumped, 5 Speed Hi-lo, Nissan Transfercase out behind 5 speed.....4:11 Diffs, Lsd Both or One, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, 31x10.50x15 tires or Something close.....:slobber:

And then there's Bumpers And Stuff too........:slobber:

This would be the first Gen one anything to be this way, So braggin rights go with it....:D

I'll be arond my phone all day today and tomorrow, After that, I'm kinda disappearing so I can finish Jarod's 8" Lift on the "Little Wagon that did".....:)

Call me, Later, John in Eugene....

541-729-8490

Originally posted by Zapar

That's right, Jason thought up, fabricated, and installed his 4 inch lift in ONE weekend. I'm betting the cost was less than 50 bucks out of his pocket. (he had access to the metals he used and possessed his own welder)

He had 28 inch tires, used his ea71 and a dual range 4 speed.

It can be done, and can be done fairly cheap, don't listen to nay sayers.

work has begun on ro-neece (rgaff_77) 78 brat. putting in 81 GLF front suspension. and crossmember

the crossmember is TOO WIDE, so we decided to go with a 3 inch lift to adapt the ea81 crossmember to the 78 brat

we will get thwt done, and then take off all the rear suspension. we will fabricate lift blocks that will accomodate an EA82 rear suspension.

since the brat will have an ea81 crossmember. that will allow the mod for the ea82 lower control arms and struts. now it will have the proper track to acommodate ea82 axles, especially 25 spline axles, and xt6 suspension too.

we are using an ea71 with ea82 hitachi and ea81 bellhousing, with (when we get it, its available soon) 4spd dual range.

once that is accomplished, we can consider ea82, and with that fit, it will allow a turbo swap.

LOTS of potential, it can be all done like that combination using all subaru parts, and just a fabbed lift (or kit if they were manufactured for the conversions [which they are not..unless we make some])

:D

I have a '78 brat with a 3" lift. Run 205 14's, with a weber, hydraulic lifter import engine..It has pretty good power, but it is challenged when I four wheel, esp. with wgt in the back. (a Great Dane and an Irish Wolfhound), close to 300 lbs! I didn't install the lift. They got more hgt. on the rear end by welding new lower shock mounts. I have had this brat for more that 4 years, have hauled over 1100 lbs. of cement, and done alot of 4 whln. Haven't broken anything chasis wise. We just got a digital camera, when I get better at using it. I will send pics. Dave.

if wagon and brats are the same platform(yes)

remember i have the ea82 suspension in my 83 wagon. it still has the ea81 rear suspension, with ea82 trailing arms

a gen1 rear suspension is a while nother ball game.

but the front ens mods will be the same(but the crossmember has narrowed to fit, or lift adapter blocks