Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Suggestion for a EA82 Cup Holder?

Here's a pic I took of the cupholder out of a '85 (or '86) ford contour. I'm planning to install it in my Brat. It retracts when not in use.

cupholderopen.jpg

If you go to my photo album section and check out the My Cup Holder album, you can see the one I have in my Brat. It works pretty well for the passenger, but is a long reach for the driver. That's why I'm adding the one from the Ford.

Why must all great cars have no cup holders... It seems all the sporty cars i have owned never had a single cupholder.... I'll find a pic for you. Im in the process of gettin some cupholders for my 6. i'm gonna pull them out of a 97 chevy s-10. same concept of ford contour except they come out of the dash. Might help fill the void under/above the stereo for my 6. It might work for you too..

IMG00037.jpg

It's kinda hard to see, but I cut a piece of aluminum to cover the change pocket then i cut out a hole with a hole saw and put one of those plastic grommets from a fold away lawn chair to make it look pretty. Really easy.

A bit off topic but did you have to tap new threads for that T-handle? Ive been pondering the idea of doing that to my suby as well.

well, i took a piece of wood and gorillaglued it to the plastic next to the ebrake. then i took one of those clip on to the door between window and door cupholders and cut off the part that holds it on to the door, leaving just the part that holds the cup. then i just placed it on the wood that i glued on, and drilled a screw through the bottom of the plastic cupholder into the wood. works perfect.

Euro Junior brand adjustable cup holder form AutoZone.

Screwed directly to the top of the dash.

Sure it's right in front of the clock, but it doesn't work and my stereo has a clock.

Other than that, I use an oversize, sturdy coffee mug on on top of the coin tray, then slip my regular thermos cup or soft drink cup in that. But I have an automatic. Not much of an option for those with a D/R lever in that spot.

I have a GL-10 that came with the stereo, trip computer, and no tape deck. I ordered the 87 GL-10 install kit from critchfield (30 bucks plus shipping but it was the right kit) and, through some wizardry with bending and cutting some sheetmetal brackets, I managed to install a two cup cupholder from a toyota corolla into the dask unit underneath my stereo deck.

It is a COMPLETELY "kustom" job (I use the "K" to indicate redneckery) and quite frankly, I never use it.. still keep my drink next to the seat, on the change holder. It puts the drinnks right on front of the stereo, blocking off all access to it. Plus, if anything somehow spills... *FRRRZZZT!* no tunes.

Pics:

astereo2.jpg

astereo1.jpg

astereo3.jpg

Details? don't ask, it was not the sort of install that lent itself to a "step-by-step," more of a "fly-by-night."