Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fender flares

WoodsWagon

So it's getting to be inspection time again. The stock fenders that I cut to fit the larger tires are getting rusty,

DSCF0726.JPG

and the fenders never covered the tires, a failing offence. I spotted the solution in the junkyard:

tn_profile_shedd_005.jpg a 1994 Cavalier. Not the actual car but I would support cutting this one up too.

DSCF0724.JPG So I cut out the fender flare, and a strip going down to the rocker to replace the rotted out area.

Welded them up into place and they look good. A bit of grinding and some black spray paint, and it'll be perfect.

DSCF0725.JPG

Weld looks alright.. What did you weld it with? I'm welding body panels at the moment for a current project and keep blowing holes in things haha.

Try less heat or less time spent on the surface your welding. Bounce around alot to keep it from warping. Like do 2in the move to the other side and do 2in, Keeping it as cool as possible. Try just doing a bunch of spot welds, not laying a constant bead. Hope this helps.

Millermatic 185, setting 1, 20" wire feed speed. Straight argon. Welds looked a lot better thursday when I did them, the salt water from the road has already rusted them up good.

I tacked it down with a lot of spot welds, then did 1" beads switching from spot to spot. Don't stay too long, or work in one area too much, the whole fender will warp and you will be in suckageville. I'll have to do a bit of grinding to level the beads out before I paint, some of the spot welds stick out a bit. The dents and puckers were already in that fender. I rubbed it pretty good on a tree chasing a cat on the property. Smashed the corner light too, so I had to replace that.

Take your time, and grind the paint off where you're welding. Clean is a must.

Oh, and how can you even tell from that picture? My camer sucks rump roast, it can't focus, and that picture is pretty blurry.

Oh, and how can you even tell from that picture? My camer sucks rump roast, it can't focus, and that picture is pretty blurry.

Cross your eyes and it looks clear!!.. :clap: Nah, that doesn't work.. really it doesn't.

Its just that I can't see holes in it, and it looks like one continuous weld.