Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sloppy ea82 shifter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

i was wondering if anyone new of an easy fix for a sloppy ea82 shifter, it seems to have excess swing and play. i remember a long while ago there used to be a sloppy shifter fix for one of the d/r trannys. but can't remember for the life of me. i was wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction. thanks

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

On the 5 speed's it's generally just needing new bushings. It's like $30 for all the bushings. Just a bunch of nylon getting old and worn....

GD

#3 Rooinater

Rooinater

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

sweet, i'll have to look into that, so all the bushings on the arms. i'll have to go to subaru directly for that, right?

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

sweet, i'll have to look into that, so all the bushings on the arms. i'll have to go to subaru directly for that, right?

Yeah - sadly they are dealer only parts. But at least they are inexpensive. Check that the bolts aren't worn out, or anything else badly worn. It's usually just the bushings though.

On the flip-side, you could always snag a linkage from the yard that feels better, and either just use it, or install the bushings on the spare and just slip it right in. It's only like 6 bolts, a cotter pin, and the interior consoles.

GD

#5 Rooinater

Rooinater

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

worn bolts... ok, i'll take a look later this week, hopefully it's just some bushings. i'll just see how much new ones are first. my shifting rod is custom bent to clear all the divorced case stuff; so i have to at least keep the shifter.

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,966 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

I stumbled across a pretty sweet fix this fall. when I went to put everything together, I couldn't find the 2 bushings for one of the pivot points on the tranny side. but I did have the bolt and the sleeve that fits over it. so I wrapped the sleeve with electrical tape until it fit snugly into the linkage. I had only intended it to be a temporary fix, but it improved shifter feel soooo much, I've left it. and it's worked great! and again, I only did it to one pivot point!

#7 Rooinater

Rooinater

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

i'll keep that in mind if I can't find the parts. all ideas are welcome. the shifter won't go into reverse in double low, cause of the shifter swinging so much and interfering with my nissan tcase shifter. so I can't quickly rock forward and reverse in the mud or snow. which poses a problem in washington, wasn't a problem in az, just a nusance.

#8 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:26 AM

god, found this on search.....
and had to add
If you can't Duck it,

you know the rest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic