Ultimate Subaru Message Board

do you like 4x4 your yota?

tailgatewagon

i had an 81 with soft springs on it and 33's and ive driven my buddys 88 pickup with 4000k in parts alone along with 38in super swampers. now they would go anywhere i pointed (within reason) 4+ feet of snow and lots of other stuff. but i never realy had fun in them. my 98 impreza with no lowrange is funner. now the only reason i bring this up is i drove a 91 extended cab pickup yesterday it had 130k on it and was in awsome shape. while i was driving it i was like man i with i had one of these but i cant for the life of me figure out why..........

so for those of you like. ZAP, Subarujunkie and others that have relly offroaded subaru and toys why do you like the toys and do they relly do for you what your suby did.

i love offroading my suby even though it sucks in comparison to my old truck.......

Depends on what your idea of fun is.

Did I have fun when I wheeled with my Lifted Hatch? Yes, of course!

Did I ever make it over that rock in the center of the trail? Not as often as I wanted to.

I really enjoy my Toyota. It definatly serves its purpose, and that is to bounce off large rocks in the middle of the woods. I like the fact that I can look at an obsticle and instead of saying "man I wish I could make it through that" i now say "can't wait to see whats on the other side!". However, I miss the head turning factor. Here you see plenty of lifted & modified Toyota's. Never do you see a lifted Subaru.

The 1st night I drove my lifted hatch on the road, it was 8pm, dark, and I had to drive to the gas station to fill it up. While there, I had 3 people interested and one asking questions like "way cool, how'd you do that?" etc.

Ive had the Truck for almost a year now, and not a single person shows interest, unless they are driving a lifted Yota then they give me the nod and a 2 finger wave as we pass eachother.

-Brian

well....I have yet to actually wheel my yota :(

but I will say why I sold the subaru.....I got tired of spending half the day leaving my rig at core trails and riding with someone else, and still breaking/bending stuff.

subarus are great for some things. and you definitely can't match the attention factor. but when it comes to rocks, they just don't cut it. on many things, momentum can replace gearing, but on the rocks, momentum means broken stuff.....and you're still not over that rock.

seriously, in the last year that I was wheelin the subarus, the only time I came home without more broken stuff than I left with, was when my water pump was failing. so I only drove the rig for ~20 minutes over the course of the day. it spent about 6 hours sitting in the parking lot because I didn't want to cook the engine.

even so, I was constantly complimented for my driving ability. I don't consider myself an amazing driver offroad, but I'm certainly better than most, and I have subaru to thank for that. they forced me to be a better driver, pick the lines better, know when to hammer on it, and when to sacrifice the clutch in the name of keeping the wheels attached. but the time comes when your itching to take your rig on something more and more extreme......and the subaru just won't take it anymore.

and if you're looking for something different, the yotas are pretty much the way to go. if you're just looking for straight up bang for the buck, you can't beat a cherokee....which is why they're everywhere, which is why I will not ever own one :)

• 2 months later...

I wheeled my Toyota yesterday. It's an AWD Corolla wagon. No low range, crap ground clearance, FWD most of the time. But it's drawbacks just make it more fun to drive I think, you really have to plan out exactly where you're going to go so as not to get stuck. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the AWD engages, I couldn't even notice it in the snow, which I did eventually get stuck in even with the diff lock on.

• 8 months later...
Depends on what your idea of fun is.

Did I have fun when I wheeled with my Lifted Hatch? Yes, of course!

Did I ever make it over that rock in the center of the trail? Not as often as I wanted to.

I really enjoy my Toyota. It definatly serves its purpose, and that is to bounce off large rocks in the middle of the woods. I like the fact that I can look at an obsticle and instead of saying "man I wish I could make it through that" i now say "can't wait to see whats on the other side!". However, I miss the head turning factor. Here you see plenty of lifted & modified Toyota's. Never do you see a lifted Subaru.

The 1st night I drove my lifted hatch on the road, it was 8pm, dark, and I had to drive to the gas station to fill it up. While there, I had 3 people interested and one asking questions like "way cool, how'd you do that?" etc.

Ive had the Truck for almost a year now, and not a single person shows interest, unless they are driving a lifted Yota then they give me the nod and a 2 finger wave as we pass eachother.

-Brian

x10

I've had to use plenty of skinny pedal to keep up with my wheeling buddies, but I still could only go so far. But it toook it's toll. Most every time out something would break. Lots of good trail fix experience :) and seeing just how strong rope can be :lol: but it took some of the fun factor out of it... plus Soob parts are hard to come by anymore around here...

In the end, before the SAS, my rear lift/suspension on my Brat consisted of broken/disabled torsion bars, trailing arm and torsion plate welded together to form a solid trailing "A" arm off the torsion tube. (each side)

ea82 coilovers with mounts drilled to mount to ea81 horseshoe shock extensions. the rest of the rear lift was all BYB/Ozified. current inspection shows that the torsion tube mount points in the frame rail had cracked, and were beginning to pull through.

thankfully, I have a wife who like the Uniqueness of the Brat, and the looks it gets, which made it easier for me to justify the SAS on my Brat.

While my crawls ratio is gonna be about 53:1 I have no desire to do RockCrawling so I'll be happy with where I'm at.

It will be a whole new learning experience though with solids, and gobs of flex....

While I have owned two of the most famous lifted Subarus. I miss my Hatch sometimes. I miss my little lifted Brat(4") more than I miss the big lifted Brat(10"). I have seen Subaru's taken as far as they can go. Between Zap and myself we have probably wheeled a Subaru in every possible condition. We have followed Jeeps, Samauris, 'yotas, you name it. Yes, we did it but it was difficult, usually broke stuff and held up the group. When we would go to Evans Creek with a group of Subarus we would be lucky to do 2 trails. Usually stopping to repair broken axles or struts. Waiting for smoked clutches to cool.

Now, enter the Toyota. Stock engine, stock transmission, 6" lift already installed, 35" tires and 4.30/1 gear ratio. $1000.

Needed a clutch and water pump to be road/trail ready. This goes anywhere I want it to go. I do not worry about breaking things, I did break a "J" arm on the first outing. But that was my fault. Had to learn the truck and haven't had a problem since.

Now, when we wheel we see most of the trails. A day of wheeling means we wheeled for the whole day. I have made a couple of upgrades to the truck that makes it even better. A welded rear diff, on-board welder and air system, front ARB will be added soon. The only thing that I may add after that would be a second t-case. I have a flat bed for it already and it should be done. I will wheel the heck out of it until the frame rots. May be the last wheel I buy!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had to resurrect this. Went to Naches Saturday and found a spot we had been to with the Subarus.

Then...

playin.jpg?t=1248036782

Now...

Picture015.jpg?t=1248036976

The trail has changed so much since that run. We made it to the east side. We were going to go to funny rocks and moon rocks but my Brother blew a radiator resevour tank on his Cherokee. Closed system on that rig. We switched some hoses around and drove it back to the trail head without issue.

Edited by Qman

awesome! I don't remember seeing a silver door and fender on that one.....:eek:

I spent the day at the Crawl 4 the Cure yesterday. pissed that my 4runner is out of commission. BUT, there were a few other yotas there that were very inspiring. with amazing little modification (compared to all the "jeeps" with V8s, 1-ton axles, 10" of lift, links, coilovers, all just to fit 35" tires).

yes, wagon has to get sold so the 4runner can get big :banana:

awesome! I don't remember seeing a silver door and fender on that one.....:eek:

I spent the day at the Crawl 4 the Cure yesterday. pissed that my 4runner is out of commission. BUT, there were a few other yotas there that were very inspiring. with amazing little modification (compared to all the "jeeps" with V8s, 1-ton axles, 10" of lift, links, coilovers, all just to fit 35" tires).

yes, wagon has to get sold so the 4runner can get big :banana:

What year runner?

I sold my hatch so I could get an '87 Runner :)

lift

and eventually SAS

-Jaren

mine's an '87. was a turbo, now just has an N/A 22RE in it. once the wagon sells, the 4runner will get 33s and a rear locker (engine should be rebuilt by then!). then some skidplates. and my revolver shackles (which have been sitting in the basement for like 3 years).

mine's an '87. was a turbo, now just has an N/A 22RE in it. once the wagon sells, the 4runner will get 33s and a rear locker (engine should be rebuilt by then!). then some skidplates. and my revolver shackles (which have been sitting in the basement for like 3 years).

Sounds like fun, mine is also an '87, the motor is being rebuilt right now, bored .40 over, header... "stuff"

-Jaren