Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Fozzy Locker"

Uberoo

in my travels though the the internet I came upon a lincoln locker variant called the "Fozzy Locker".Rather than welding the spider gears to each other you fill up some valleys on the gears at 90* angles.this way it allows 1/4 of a turn before the diff locks up.that 1/4 of a turn would allow you to turn all but the tightest turns without locking up.You could run one on the rear diff and not have to pull axles.or it could a FRONT DIFF LSD.Has anyone tried that?If you were gentle on the go pedal it should last a long time.

I did the math with a 29" tire.it gives about 2 ft of movement before locking.that may just be enough to where it is possible to steer.At least make it so it isnt as hard to steer.

alternativly weld at 180* which would give you about 4 feet of movement before it locks up.better on the street,offroad it would still lock up just you would need more spinning.

one downside is you have to take the spider gears out to make it a fozzy locker,and unless you marked exactly where they were,you would have to a professional install it.It still might be an option.it falls somewhere between a lincoln locker and a real locker in terms of movement.

When you weld on those gears, you are altering their heat-treatment properties. Heat from welding embrittles the welded area of the base metal- and with the fozzy locker, once welded the gears will be acting as hammers on themselves. They might hold up in a heavier truck differential, but I'm not sure they would in a Subaru.

Andy

I wouldn't trust it in a Dana 44, much less a soob. I think you are just asking for a granaded diff. Just my two cent's. Half the time welded spider gears end poorly anyway. I would recomend not doing it. However, feel free to show us those pictures once you hear the telltale rocks in a coffee tin sound.:headbang: If you try it, of course.

Heck, I've blown up 2 off these diffs without any gear modification. They are not strong diffs. Putting the impact loading of free movement and then full bind of welded teeth on the spider gears will shatter them in no time.

Plus, you would have to make an equal amount of left turns and right turns alternating to not have it bind up like a normal welded diff. As soon as you make two right turns in a row, you're back to the same amount of bind as a welded diff.

Plus, you would have to make an equal amount of left turns and right turns alternating to not have it bind up like a normal welded diff. As soon as you make two right turns in a row, you're back to the same amount of bind as a welded diff.

My thoughs excactly. I think you'de end up like this more often than not.

Plus wouldn't it be a drastic, possibly dangerous *bite* halfway through a turn as it hits and *locks*

I agree that this probably wouldn't last very long. Only because you are allowing lash in the setup, followed by an abrupt uptake. That kind of force against a small surface area would destroy almost any smaller differential. I've never even heard of this done on any differential, but allowing that lash doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd just weld it all the way up and live with it. A welded rear isn't that bad, you just learn when to cut a tight corner, and when not to. As for the front; I'd find an LSD. Or you could weld it and pull an axle for driving it on the street.

With that said, I don't know how you guys are destroying stock Sub diffs without any gearing mods. That is unless they just have a ridiculous ammount of miles on them with no maintenance, and your right foot rests :grin: heavily on the floor. My welded rear diff is in its 3rd car, and it's been welded for years. It's seen everything from 31's to the 27's that are on it now with no problems at all. Most of my buddys rear differentials have been in numerous cars as well, and I've never heard of them breaking any.

:banana: :banana: Maybe we are all just really lucky!:banana: :banana:

With that said, I don't know how you guys are destroying stock Sub diffs without any gearing mods. That is unless they just have a ridiculous ammount of miles on them with no maintenance, and your right foot rests :grin: heavily on the floor.

Main problem. That and the right foot is controling an EJ22. I've smoked two transmissions rear drives now too.