Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front wheel lock up?

I have an 88 gl wagon and the other day going down the road the right front wheel locked up and skid the car to a complete stop, it will not move at all(even in four wheel drive). My question is do you think the brakes locked up or that the cv joint may have broke and locked it up? I'm going to tear into it in either Fri. or Sat. as soon as I can figure out how to get it into the garage.

Thanks, Joe

Originally posted by moparbarney

I have an 88 gl wagon and the other day going down the road the right front wheel locked up and skid the car to a complete stop, it will not move at all(even in four wheel drive). My question is do you think the brakes locked up or that the cv joint may have broke and locked it up? I'm going to tear into it in either Fri. or Sat. as soon as I can figure out how to get it into the garage.

Thanks, Joe

sounds like you locked up the front diff..

any strange noises before this?

the like to lock up when theres no oil in em :(

Methinks you'll find out the answer to that question within 5 minutes of getting it into the garage. Might as well wait till then to find out what kind of job you've got.

It might be obvious when you get it in a warm, dry garage with a light. Anyway, jack it up and try to turn the wheel by hand. If the brake is locked up, you'll have only 1/8" or so of play in the wheel. If it's the CV joint you should have more than 1/2" of play -- besides, it'll probably make appropriate noises.

I can't imagine a CV locking up unless the boot's torn and a rock jumped in.....

-- Mark

check the fluid level for the font diff.

on automatics there is a separate tube for front diff, uses gear oil

i have seen a rear diff that ran out of oil, locked up. but it rolled after it cooled off.

check and fill the fluid, check for leaks. if the car rolls now, the diff got hot from lack of oil

i highly doublt its axles or bearing.

Happened to me once and it was the outer wheel bearing. The chase just about fused itself to the spindle. I broke it free with a pipe wrench, cleaned up the spindle with some fine abrasive paper and replaced bearing. Back in business!

about 6 months ago i had the same thing happen to my '79 brat i stood on the brakes real hard, they locked up good. The nice part was i had a broken front axle so we were running in "rear" / 4WD,

and i was about one and a half miles away from my house. after that the tire was no good and the bead of the wheel was nicly ground down. It was pretty cool. Just thought i would add my story for fun.

Jeff

For the price VS. labor you'd be better off just getting a rebuild or used caliper. The job will go much faster and even if your wallet doesn't thankyou your hands will. (did that come out right?)

How about the good old Hill Holder lock up. I had this happen on my 85 BRAT in a flat parking lot. It was only RWD drive so I burned the tires with the car going sideways all the way to the road, luckly it releasd when I pushed the clutch back in.:D