Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pcv location

Stand in front of the car. Looking down at the engine look to the back side of the intake manifold just right of the carb. You'll see the heater hoses and a large diameter hose that enters the intake. The PCV is right there. It does screw in with a 19mm wrench.

Yep, same location. It just looks like a pipe fitting before you take the hose loose.

Word of caution though. The hose will more than likely be brittle. If you unthread the valve first you can usually get the hose off without breaking it.

NAPA ia alright in my book - but I bet I can confuse your computer system.... NAPA has tried to tell me that I have one front wheel bearing on each side..... NO - there's an inner and an outer on each side...

While I'm sure that you have perfectly reasonable intentions to give out all the right parts.... your computer system will fail you occasionally.

I got my last PCV from a place called Discount Import Parts here local to me - got the right one. In fact - they have never given me the wrong part yet - but I'm sure it would happen given time. I think it was $2.99 or something...

GD

GD -

Yeah, the guys that code in "per car" amounts sometimes mess up. If I flip the screen to Beck-Arnley bearings, or if I pull out the bearing paper catalog there is a specific message that it takes two bearings per side; plus I know by having done the job (what an annoying sound when one goes bad!) My best advice is to find a parts person who you trust that is willing to go beyond "that's what my computer tells me, so it must be right." From what I have heard from customers who come in to me cussing about getting the wrong parts down the street, I think NAPA has the best cataloging in the aftermarket.

QMan -

You mean to tell me that if you put in my NAPA PCV valve into your car that is in good condition, that it will start sucking oil?

Do you actually have experience with this? If so, I'll get mine at Subaru too!

Partsman

88 GL wagon 5spd SPFI D/R

its usually the dumb a$$ parts guy that thinks he knows everything. you say 87 hatch, and they think its the same as an 87 mpfi turbo. they assume its the thing.

i know the brakes were at one time listed wrong in the computer. the books seem to be right, but they never touch those things. napa can be pretty bad, unless you drill the parts guy, and make him cross reference stuff.

im a parts guy too, so i can bitch