Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just picked up a 1973 Bottecchia Race bike

Hey everyone. Just thought i would share my recent find. I bought it for 150 bucks which granted is alot to pay for an old bike but this one was pretty nice and all there. I have it torn apart down to the frame right now but if people are interested ill post some pics. Its a Columbus tubed frame with Campagnolo record everything except brakes which are universal sidepulls that were added at somepoint later in the bikes life. Whats even better is the owner i bought it from gave me the original bike brochure that showed how much it was new as well as all the components. It was the top of the line in 1973.

It was the top of the line in 1973.

That is a nice lookin' set of wheels!!

(found this on Google images)

bottecchia.jpg

Sorry for this insolent hijack.

I've been riding a 1969 Peugeot since 73

looks very similar.

(pretty half has a like new women's model)

What part of "the line" was this bike.

What part of "the line" was this bike.

That bike looks almost identical to mine. That one is a bit earlier i would say judging by the stem and the crankset. Otherwise its the same. I believe that is the "Professional Model" like what i have. That was the top of the line Bottecchia.

Looks even better now. I touched up the scratches on the frame and polished the whole frame and fork. The bike is slowely being put back together. Both hubs have been repacked with new grease. The bottom bracket has been repacked. The headset has been repacked. I need another freewheel and i need to clean up some more parts but its on its way. Oh and i need to true up the wheels a bit. Not close enough for me yet. :) Im a perfectionist when it comes to bikes. By the time its done it will look close to new and ride just as well.

my Peugeot looks identical

I'll get details soon.

"Pugwats" have been my favorite bike for a little bit of time

(35 years).

Something special about riding one of this vintage bike.

Many congrats on the find and well done!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well a bit of an update on the bike. I still have it in pieces but i just bought another wheel set for it. The original wheels are campy record hubs with sew up rims. If anyone knows anything about vintage bikes then you know they are biotch to change tires on if you get a flat (tire is glued to the rim). So i located a set of regular clincher(sp) rims with the same exact hubs and bought them cheap. I have the back one really close to true (as close as i can get it). The front one is almost done as well. Best of all it came with a nice suntour racing freewheel attached.