Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 civic ex overheats and engine quits

My friend has a 2000 civic that i am trying to fix. The Civic had a coolant hose i replaced then took it for a test drive and the temperature spiked and the engine stopped a wouldn't turn over again it acted like it was seized and then about 15 minutes later it started again. I got frustrated with it so i let it sit for two months and today when i went to start it the car started but made a terrible squeaking noise that got intermittently worse and the engine would slow, after about 15 seconds the engine quit all together and wouldn't turn over. Oil looks good and i pulled the spark plugs cam cover and timing belt cover and everything looks good. Any ideas what it might be or could anyone point out a good Honda forum for such questions. i have little experience with Hondas having only owned Subaru's myself.

Try http://www.civicforums.com (I think that's it, google "Civic forum" if it doesn't work)

Sounds to me like you got a bubble in the cooling system that didn't get bled out. I don't know a whole lot about Hondas, but I know some Subarus and some Toyotas have a bleeder screw/plug that you have to take out while you are filling the cooling system or it gets air in it.

• 2 weeks later...