Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble codes

painter007

Welcome to the good ship USMB

Yes you can read the codes without a scanner

by plugging together two white colored connectors.

The codes are flashed to you in a small window

on the front of the ECU.

You must lower the plastic panel below the steering

coluum to see it. Silver box, small round window.

Here is a sight with the codes.

Your connectors will be under the hood

by the drivers side hood hinge.

Hope this helps

(don't be mis-lead by the title of the link)

It is for your car.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Welcome and hope this helps.

Please also look at the USRM

(Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual) linked to at the top of this page

thanks for the reply. found the ecu and see the red light flashing .with nothing connected with the key on it flashs 5 times .put i don't see 2 white wires under there,is that were they should be .I see the two test connectors under the hood,one black and one yellow is that right.

Your connectors will be under the hood

by the drivers side hood hinge.

Please also look at the USRM

(Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual) linked to at the top of this page

Did you look there?

There should be two pair of connectors

2 male - one white, one green

2 female - one white, one green

Plug the white into the white

turn the ig. sw. to "on" (do not start the engine)

and count the flash code.

Unplug them when done.

no white wires or black wires by the drivers side hinge.there is two connectors under the hood one is yellow 9 pin the other is black 13 pin .I presume these are for a scanner.do you know if the two white wires I am looking for go to the ecu,if I knew were they are in the ecu [pin #s]I could trace them and see were they went.or if they are even at the ecu. thanks

Sorry, I just saw you are north of the border

Maybe things are different up there??

You do mean Loyale, not Legacy?

Sorry I had to ask, not a whole lot of 94 Loyales.

These connectors are one wire, one connector

type plugs. They do go to the ECU.

Maybe look around your ECU some more.

The may be taped up to the harness.

Find the green ones and the black (or white?)

should be close by.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Maybe look around your ECU some more.

The may be taped up to the harness.

Find the green ones and the black (or white?)

should be close by.

MPFI used black "read connectors"

SPFI, like on this loyale, should be white.

I remember that on the early SPFI GLs, the test (green)connectors are under the hood, but the "read"(white)connectors are near the ECU.

I thought that in 89 or 90 they had changed it so both connectors are under the hood.

2 Green connector, and 2 white connector

Connector color, not wire color. They are there. I swear. If they aren't. Look near the ECU.

I found them under the hood and someone had them plugged in .so I unplugged them and ran the engine then shut down and plugged them back in and got a code 31. thanks for the help.

one more .do you leave these unpluged. thanks

Yes, they hould be unplugged for normal driving.

You should only plug them in when etting timing, or checking for codes.

You can clear all stored codes by connecting the 2 green and 2 white connectors, running the engine for a min over 2000 rpm, til the CEL blinks.Then shut down and unplug both. That should give you a fresh start.

If CEL comes on and stay on, it won't clear because there is a code present. If so, read the code and recheck/repair, then try again.

• 1 year later...
I have a 1994 loyale and it is not running right. the check engine lite is on. is there a way to read the codes WITH out a scanner.I no on some cars you can jump the connect and watch the flashes to get the codes .thanks check out my photos.

Under the hood, drivers side by strut tower, green connectors, connect, turn key on , do not crank or start. count flashes for codes, two digit codes .

Your car will probably have some historical codes, code that have been stored for years. You can clear these codes by disconnecting battery, BOTH CABLES and connecting the terminals of the cables together w/ jumper wire. Turn key to on position. this bleeds off any power stored in capacitors in components.

Turn key off, remove jumper wire, reconnect battery, start engine. If check engine light comes back on, retrieve code this is your failed component.

Some codes may not reset immediately, it may take a few drive cycles before the ECM recognizes a problem and turns on check engine light. This more than likely is not the source on your running problems unless it is a fuel injector code. Or the O2 sensor or the airflow meter. There could be any number reasons for poor performance. Check plugs,wires,cap,rotor, ignition timing,and timing belt condition and tension. A loose t-belt can cause irratic distibutor operation. Check the basics compression, fuel pressure and flow and adequate ignition spark. This is where experience comes in.

Good luck.