Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Swap. EA82 5sd DR Trans into BRAT done.

bobjr94

Just put it in last week. Drives way better, feels like a different car. The shifter is always where you left it, none of the sloppy what gear is it in feelings and when in stop & go traffic you not revving 2nd to 3000, then bogging down in 3rd. Now you can leave it in 3rd and drive along nicely.

The old 4 speed finally got jammed in 3rd and wouldnt come out, it been getting stuck in 4th for a while but use to come back out. Ive driven enough loyals and owned 2 I think and never had any trans problems with them.

The EA81 engine EA82 trans is pretty easy. Took about 4 days of a few hours a day. There are a few write ups on it already, I took a few pictures of things I thought were missing. If you want to read about the swap I put it on my page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619108/3

Hey 94 This is Jerry, with the kit that i build it alows you to keep everything stock inside of your brat stock shifters and consel. Next week i am going to build another kit after i get it biult i will get some pictures and post them. As far as i know everybody that has this set up in there EA81 car they like it i know i really like it. Thanks Jerry

I have Jerry's custom 5 speed mount, and it's quite nice.

It's not something most people could build for what he charges. The design is a bit complicated because there is VERY little room for the 5 speed to fit without rubbing on a stock EA81 floorpan. There's as little as 1/8" between the trans and the cross-member, and the whole engine/transmission assembly is tilted backwards slightly.

I won't go into more details or post pictures of Jerry's design as I feel that his price, quality, and excelent knowledge of the swap are well worth the paltry sum he asks. Pictures serve no purpose but to give folks ideas of how to copy his design. It's a cross-member with some rubber mounts on it.... what is there to see?

If you want to make one, then stick the tranny in the hole and get out your tape measure and welder. It's not rocket science. But don't be surprised when it's not a as nice and takes you 10 times as long. Jerry's kit is one of the few square deals left around. Help yourself and a fellow board member at the same time.

GD

Jerry's kit is one of the few square deals left around. Help yourself and a fellow board member at the same time.

GD

GD is right. I also got a kit from Jerry at WCSS8 and it worked great. It only took me a few hours to do the swap and everything bolted right back up without a problem. I was really surprised. The other good thing about the kit is that if you did have any problems Jerry is always willing to help.

I went with a custom made one piece driveline for my swap.

Custom_Drive_Line.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering about Jerry's kit. I have been searching the forum for threads, but haven't found anything albeit my search skills are not very effective yet. I have amassed all the parts I need to fab together for the swap (minus the driveshaft), but I would rather buy Jerry's kit.

What all is included in the kit? I am assuming the driveshaft is not, but I would gladly be mistaken.

I am converting a hatch to 5spd...would it be better/easier/cheaper to shorten an ea81 wagon driveshaft or lengthen a hatch shaft or does it matter?

I am converting a hatch to 5spd...would it be better/easier/cheaper to shorten an ea81 wagon driveshaft or lengthen a hatch shaft or does it matter?

I think it will be easier/better to just lengthen the shaft. I paid around $100 to have my lengthened by:DSC01033.jpg

and it was worth it. Just take in your old drive line with the measurements in and they'll make you a completely new one. The u-joints have zerk fittings on them and it's built very strong.

The u-joint have zert fittings on them and it's built very strong.

All EA81 u-joints have Zerks... at least the longer one's do. I would have to look at my hatch to make sure. It's the EA82's that didn't have them and the U's were staked in place. EA81 U's are replaceable and greaseable in stock form.

How much did that one cost you anyway? I might be in the market soon. I might also have a buddy of mine weld it up and then take it to them for balancing if I need it.

GD

All EA81 u-joints have Zerks... at least the longer one's do. I would have to look at my hatch to make sure. It's the EA82's that didn't have them and the U's were staked in place. EA81 U's are replaceable and greaseable in stock form.

How much did that one cost you anyway? I might be in the market soon. I might also have a buddy of mine weld it up and then take it to them for balancing if I need it.

GD

(oh, it's zerks not zerts):rolleyes:

I know the drive line that I took out of my 82 hatch did not have zerk fittings on the u joints. I paid about $100 for it.

• 5 months later...

your my hero lol im buying a 79 brat today and it has a 4speed hi/lo tranny and first thing that came to mind was that had to go. I got a hole 87 ea82 parts car to swap it and your site just answered all of my questions i needed to ask thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions about the swap. Think I have about 5000 miles on since I put in the 5 speed and no problems. Only trade off is gaining about 150rpm on the freeway, my mileage didnt change on way or the other.

Ok so I am using this thread and

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49952

This thread to make sure I get all the parts I need to swap a 5sp dr in to my soon to be brat (4sp dr) replacement. I just want to make some things are clear.

This will be going in to a 4 inch 85 lifted brat so I dont think I will have clearance issue.

Out of the donor ea82 car I need the following.

1.ea82 flywheel

2.ea82 clutch/pressure plate

3.ea82 drive shaft.. which sine this is a brat and not a hatch will work un-moded as far as length concerned.

4.interior ea82 boots/consoles

Did I miss any thing?

wops lol that was a huuuuuge typo lol i ment 79 my bad guys. But i also just realized that you did it in a 2nd gen brat... grr i was lookin at the parts car and the brats tranny xmembers and they are just a bit different to say the least... I know i half to swap the bell housing from the EA82 motor to the EA71 motor to get the tranny to bolt up. But mounting i dont think it will be as easy as in the 2nd gens... any suggestions on that? i know im gonna half to cut out the a bigger whole so the d/r part will fit in the car. I know i can make my only tranny xmember... but i truelly and honestly dont wanna do that i weld/fabricate as a living lol so its not exactly what i wanna do when i get home.

Ok so I am using this thread and

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49952

This thread to make sure I get all the parts I need to swap a 5sp dr in to my soon to be brat (4sp dr) replacement. I just want to make some things are clear.

This will be going in to a 4 inch 85 lifted brat so I dont think I will have clearance issue.

Out of the donor ea82 car I need the following.

1.ea82 flywheel

2.ea82 clutch/pressure plate

3.ea82 drive shaft.. which sine this is a brat and not a hatch will work un-moded as far as length concerned.

4.interior ea82 boots/consoles

Did I miss any thing?

bump for a answer to the above.

I think that was all I needed. If you can cut off some of the trans wiring harness on the car side it will be easier to hook up. You need reverse lights and the 4x4 and 4x4 low switches spliced to the original wiring. I still havent wired in the 4x4 lights on mine but the reverse should be done to keep it legal.

• 2 weeks later...
bump for a answer to the above.

I recommend Jerry's 5sp kit. Made the swap easy. If you dont use his kit then youre going to have to modify your tranny mounts to fit properly, and with his kit you can use the original shift levers and boots.. I also went with having my original one piece drive shaft rebuilt with new greasable joints instead of using the two piece ea82 shaft.

Good luck

Daniel

• 4 months later...

Another happy owner of Jerry's kit. There are a few different floor pan stampings depending on what transmission your EA81 came equipped with. I had the on-demand 4WD Auto and I had to grind the mounting tab mentioned on the transmission in the original poster's website completely off to gain enough clearance to eliminate trans-to-tunnel contact.

Other than that, I am reminded of the money well spent every time I drive the car.

Edited by carfreak85