Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Indeed Texan is right about Josh. A no brainer when I needed a volunteer to be a moderator here. I mostly am about the Old School Forum since I sold my Legacy and my soon to be Ex got the 95 Sedan (by choice, not giving up my old ones for that 2wd Auto Sedan).

I know that a lot of people in Australia were fed up with blown head gaskets on the EJ25 and installed an EJ22 to fix the problem permanently so there are likely more than a few EJ22 Forester's out there. But no EJ22 Forester's from the factory.

Good EJ22's are easy to find in Australia, since many low mileage ones come in from Japan.

BTW: Subaru dropped the 2.2 because it had no need for it, the EJ25 is about the same size and weight and produces more power with about the same fuel economy. In most European countries the low experience driver's licenses have engine size limits, and the cost of car registration and insurance is based on engine size. Almost universally in Europe engines 2.0 litres or less fall into the low registration/insurance cost, and low-experience driver license category. The Odd thing in some European countries is that a turbo 2 litre can be in the same category as a non turbo 2 litre, but the turbo truly is a "replacement for displacement". The turbo EJ20 is roughly equivalent to a 3.5 litre 6 cylinder non-turbo engine.

Australia seems to be unique in the fact that big V8 engines in midsize and large cars are very popular. I am waiting to see just how good the forthcoming Pontiac GTO will be, I have driven the Holden that the GTO is based on and it was very good. It would be nice to see American manufacturers start to recover from such disasters as the ugly Aztec and overpriced Pacifica.

When my DOHC engine went, I looked at replacing it with a SOHC. I found one guy who had done it. It turned into quite a bit of work. He used his original ECU and wiring. There were differences in the throttle body (IAC I think?), the cam and crank sensor wheels, the power steering routing, and some other stuff I don't recall right now. And the SOHC does not have an EGR system, so every few days, he'd get a CEL that he'd have to reset.

I don't know about the Forester (as it is a bit smaller and lighter), but I find the 2.5L engine to be a little marginal for my 97 OB. I know people have put in the 2.2L engines (per Emily at CCR). I'm sure I'd be disappointed in the performance.

Yes, the SOHC has "fatter" hp and torque curves. There is a bit more output in the mid rev range.

Commuter

DOHC=more HP

SOHC=more torque

Even though the DOHC engines didn't make anymore HP, but the SOHC ones had more torque :rolleyes:

Lemme tell you all this: My XT is a very advanced SOHC 2-valve design :D, and while it's no rocket-powered Ferrari-killer, I can easily light up an inside tire on a 25mph corner in 2nd gear :eek: It does have very useable torque :cool:

Foresters over here in Australia come with the ej20, only in 2003 did they get a 2.5l

most people generally say that the 2 litre foresters are fantastic reliable cars, except for the rear wheel bearing probs that all seem to have.

Theyre a bit pricey over here though, a 97 forester, no matter what type, has only depreciated 3-4 thousand dollars from new. not enough.