Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XT6 in a Vanagon. Possible?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 motorcity_rob

motorcity_rob

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Detroit

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi all, Has anyone done a eariler XT6 (2.7) conversion into a Vanagon? Both the donor subie and the Vanagon are 89's. Will the same conversion kit for a 2.5 or a 3.3 work? Are these engines any good or should I just keep searching for a 2.5? Thanks for any input.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,750 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

you're better off with a newer engine - the EG33 is an EXCELLENT choice. the ER27 is nice because they're cheap...but they leak oil, are easy to work on but are still likely to leak, expensive and hard to find parts for....the EG33 is an excellent motor - much better power, newer, and i'd guess more reliable. but they can be hard to find parts for too. the EJ25 is nice...easy to find, easy parts but have head gasket issues - so beware of those.

dont know anything about the conversion but the XT6 is a different bellhousing than the EG33 and EJ25 so a conversion kit won't be identical, but the motor mounts should be in nearly the same locations as the EJ25 if that helps at all.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,750 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

i know someone who has done this and supplied them with parts. but they haven't offered tons of information, so i wouldn't expect any help from them.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Lots of information on using 2.2 and 2.5 on yahoo lists, so personally i would stick them unless you can get a new H6

nipper

#5 motorcity_rob

motorcity_rob

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Detroit

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I'll keep looking for a 2.5 then. Or if I get lucky enough to find a cheap 3.3.

#6 mr.radon

mr.radon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

I sold my spare ER27 to my friend. He has it up and running, has about 12K miles on it. Awesome installation too.
I can forward an e-mail to him for you if you like. He has tons of pictures.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,750 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

hey mr.radon! good to see you again, hope all is well and your healing is now 100%!

#8 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

The EZ30 would be a good choice too if its a bit tight in there.. They are only a little bit longer then the 4 bangers and same goes for width.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users