Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stupid high performance... (not really)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

I've considered going to college to get ASE certified in automechanics. Forget that. I think the best way they could teach anybody is hand em a subaru...:lol: By the time they get it running right they will know everything there is to know. Presto!!! instant auto mechanic.

I checked my timing once again last night and noticed something out of the ordinary. It keeps advancing and its starting to run worse. So this morning i went out to investigate. After dismantling the radiator fans and pulling pulleys off and timing covers, I was shocked to realize the darn thing was 1 or 2 teeth off. Could this explain why i would be having issues?? I have to call it quits for a while as it is raining. As soon as it stops I'll be back out there working on it.

#2 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

I was shocked to realize the darn thing was 1 or 2 teeth off. Could this explain why i would be having issues??

Most definately. Especially the driver's side.

#3 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

It's times like these that i wish i had a cherry pick and motor stand... I think i'll invest in an engine stand and rent a cherry picker for the day. This motor will never see it coming. I need to replace gaskets on it anyways and clean it up a bit. Get rid of all the excess oil and grease. Have the Intake powder coated. You suppose the Valve cover and Rocker assembly housing can be powder coated too??

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,759 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

don't bother pulling the engine, everything you need can be done in the car. get a 10mm ratcheting wrench for the valve covers and presto - PITA job becomes easy.

#5 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Don't pull the engine just to do the timng belts, but if you plan on a complete reseal...yeah...best to pull it.

#6 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

[quote name=''[HTi]Johnson']Don't pull the engine just to do the timng belts' date=' but if you plan on a complete reseal...yeah...best to pull it.[/QUOTE']

Yeah I wasnt planning on pulling the motor just to do the timing. I want to fix some leaks i've been having. Maybe even replace my smashed oil pan... (accidents happen... hehehe)

#7 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

AWESOME NEWS!!!! I'll be in xt heaven...:headbang:

So i talked to my dad and convinced him to take me to reno, nv. Theres a couple different wrecking yards, but 1 in particular is worth going to. Unless they have changed it up at all there should be 5 xt's and xt6's. I'm hoping i can get everything i need in one run.

Does anybody need anything. Tools will be limited but i'll try hard. Plus we'll have a pickup so it'll hold lots of goodies.

#8 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

You know people are going to want the 5 lug swap pieces LOL..

Things to look for..unbroke steering column pieces and unbroken dash trim..Also bring a turkey baster and a cleaned out coffee can..suck out the cybrid fluid from the XT6 steering unit..that stuff is liquid gold.

#9 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

Update: I thought I had fixed the timing with it being 1 -2 teeth off. I was wrong. I have been sick for a while now so i havent been feeling up to working on the car.

Today was nice and warm so I decided to go ahead and reinvestigate the problem. After I thought I had fixed the timing issue all together, it still ran like crap. I pulled the front end apart and studied the timing marks on the cams. Both were pointing up. Seeing as this didn't look right I Logged on and started to search. I came across a thread on timing and read through it several times. When it finally occured to me that the cams should be 180* off of each other and not both pointing straight up.

Thats right. Both cams were aligned so the timing marks on both were strait at the top. I redid the entire timing belt replacement procedure and did it exactly the way it was posted in the thread.

Success!!!!!:banana: :banana: It has enough power to smoke the tires once again. Being able to fly through the gears instead of just driving like a granny.
I owe everything to you guys who have done so much to help me out with this. But dont think this will be the end of me. I still have much to do and so much time to do it in.

#10 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

That's awesome! :banana: I am glad it worked out for you.

Um...have you logged onto--> http://subaruxt.com/ ?

#11 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:29 AM

I sure have. They too have been a big help for me. Even if i needed advice or parts. I don't know if i posted this great news over there yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users