Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid high performance... (not really)

I've considered going to college to get ASE certified in automechanics. Forget that. I think the best way they could teach anybody is hand em a subaru...:lol: By the time they get it running right they will know everything there is to know. Presto!!! instant auto mechanic.

I checked my timing once again last night and noticed something out of the ordinary. It keeps advancing and its starting to run worse. So this morning i went out to investigate. After dismantling the radiator fans and pulling pulleys off and timing covers, I was shocked to realize the darn thing was 1 or 2 teeth off. Could this explain why i would be having issues?? I have to call it quits for a while as it is raining. As soon as it stops I'll be back out there working on it.

It's times like these that i wish i had a cherry pick and motor stand... I think i'll invest in an engine stand and rent a cherry picker for the day. This motor will never see it coming. I need to replace gaskets on it anyways and clean it up a bit. Get rid of all the excess oil and grease. Have the Intake powder coated. You suppose the Valve cover and Rocker assembly housing can be powder coated too??

Johnson']Don't pull the engine just to do the timng belts' date=' but if you plan on a complete reseal...yeah...best to pull it.[/quote']

Yeah I wasnt planning on pulling the motor just to do the timing. I want to fix some leaks i've been having. Maybe even replace my smashed oil pan... (accidents happen... hehehe)

AWESOME NEWS!!!! I'll be in xt heaven...:headbang:

So i talked to my dad and convinced him to take me to reno, nv. Theres a couple different wrecking yards, but 1 in particular is worth going to. Unless they have changed it up at all there should be 5 xt's and xt6's. I'm hoping i can get everything i need in one run.

Does anybody need anything. Tools will be limited but i'll try hard. Plus we'll have a pickup so it'll hold lots of goodies.

You know people are going to want the 5 lug swap pieces LOL..

Things to look for..unbroke steering column pieces and unbroken dash trim..Also bring a turkey baster and a cleaned out coffee can..suck out the cybrid fluid from the XT6 steering unit..that stuff is liquid gold.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I thought I had fixed the timing with it being 1 -2 teeth off. I was wrong. I have been sick for a while now so i havent been feeling up to working on the car.

Today was nice and warm so I decided to go ahead and reinvestigate the problem. After I thought I had fixed the timing issue all together, it still ran like crap. I pulled the front end apart and studied the timing marks on the cams. Both were pointing up. Seeing as this didn't look right I Logged on and started to search. I came across a thread on timing and read through it several times. When it finally occured to me that the cams should be 180* off of each other and not both pointing straight up.

Thats right. Both cams were aligned so the timing marks on both were strait at the top. I redid the entire timing belt replacement procedure and did it exactly the way it was posted in the thread.

Success!!!!!:banana: :banana: It has enough power to smoke the tires once again. Being able to fly through the gears instead of just driving like a granny.

I owe everything to you guys who have done so much to help me out with this. But dont think this will be the end of me. I still have much to do and so much time to do it in.