Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD stub axle vs normal one

Is there really that big of a difference to cause problems? I just sheared the stub axle in my rear LSD, and I put in one out of a normal diff. The only difference I could see was that the step to the surface the seal rides on was a little different. It seemed to go in fine and turn OK, so I'm running with it.

the clutch type LSDs found in the 80's RXs use the same stub shafts as the open differentials.

the Viscous LSDs found on the early Turbo Leg, and later new gen vehicles us a different stub shaft that is solid, and is held in with a c-clip.

so basically, any rear diff stub shaft from '78 - '90 should be interchangeable....

It's usually said when people are discussing doing the 3.7-3.9 LSD swap, that you need to keep the LSD stub axles with the carrier. They look almost the same, but that one machineing ridge was a bit different, so I wanted to be sure. Good to know that you can mix and match them.

The stub sheared at a diagonal, across the splines and through the roll pin hole. Never seen one go that way, usually they just twist off with a clean break. The bearing cap got chewed up by the CV cup because it was off at an angle. Wore near a 1/4" of alluminum off.

It's usually said when people are discussing doing the 3.7-3.9 LSD swap, that you need to keep the LSD stub axles with the carrier.

I've never heard that.....

yea, I realized later that the confusion might be from the newer viscous ones where one side has 2 sets of splines.

• 4 months later...

yea, I realized later that the confusion might be from the newer viscous ones where one side has 2 sets of splines.

I'm trying to find out exactly which models came with this. I've heard the 91-94 Turbo Legacy's have this. Is that right? I'm looking for this axle on the left.

aaaaaaaqs1.jpg

I'm trying to find out exactly which models came with this. I've heard the 91-94 Turbo Legacy's have this. Is that right? I'm looking for this axle on the left.

aaaaaaaqs1.jpg

looks like VLSD axles, sometimes the c-clip (what you call the 'ring') stays with the diff..not an issue if you also have the diff...;)

Kaz

Thanks. The LSD seems like a Suretrac (cam/pawl) unit as opposed to viscous. It was sold to me from a 96 Jap-spec Legacy as a vLSD but upon closer inspection, the two sides of the 'clutch pack' are very difficult to turn by hand. If it was viscous should it turn easily until the fluid heats up?

Also, which US cars came with the axle pictured on the left? I've heard 91-94 Turbo Legacy. Is that correct? Also, car-part.com makes a distinction of pre 10/91 and post 11/91. Which one do I want?