Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale wagon transmission question

wongie

I have a 92 Loyale wagon with a 1.8 engine with a 3 speed auto transmission. looking for options due to bad gas milage and high RPM's.

will a 4 speed auto trans fit and from what model/year

I did a tune-up and replaced the trans fluid. at 55 mph i'm cranking around 3500 rpm and 9 gallons I did 160 miles.

A 4eat out of a turbo could be made to work I'm sure. but I have 3 different Subaru's with the 3at and none of the get less than 25 on the highway if the trans and motor are working right. You can get a lot of slippage if your 2-3 band is not ajusted properly. I have picked up and sold 3 cars with suposedly bad trans that just needed a fluid change and band ajustment to work right. The only drawback like you said is the rpm they run at speed.

A 4eat out of a turbo could be made to work I'm sure. but I have 3 different Subaru's with the 3at and none of the get less than 25 on the highway if the trans and motor are working right. You can get a lot of slippage if your 2-3 band is not ajusted properly. I have picked up and sold 3 cars with suposedly bad trans that just needed a fluid change and band ajustment to work right. The only drawback like you said is the rpm they run at speed.

I will try with the 2-3 band adjustment and will update the forum with the results. I never drove a automatic vehicle that hits high RPM like this one and with the calculations I'm doing 17 mpg right now.

GD is telling you the truth. Switch to a 5 speed 2WD. At 80 mph, I turn about 3800 or so in my 91 Loyale, around 33 MPG on a good day ,28 in town. It shouldn't be that difficult, and the trannys aren't expensive.

got a bad leg and it's hard to shift after awhile, thats why I bought the car with the automatic trans. too bad a 4 speed auto would not fit easily.

REGUARDINGTHE BAND ADJUSTMENT... is this something a non technicial person can do? been doing some digging around and cant find "how to do" info to do it myself.

The information is in a Hyanes manual. It might be in chiltons but I don't use them I use Aldata.

It is easy to do but you do need a torque wrench and you are supposed to replaced the seal nut but I have never had one leak. Locate the adjustor, undo the nut, tighten the bolt to specified torque, back off bolt X number of turns hold and reinstall the nut.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I am on a job 300 miles away from home but it takes longer to jack up the car and put it on jack stands than it does to adjust the band. Hope it help's.

like they said, a 4EAT swap is a bad solution. easier just to buy something with a 4EAT in it. there are older soobs out there that can get 30, 35 and even 40+ mpg. my buddy had a jeep getting about 12-15 mpg and i bought him a subaru last year - he's already saved $1,500 just in gas!

if this is mostly for gas mileage - what kind of driving are you doing? in town, mountains, towing, short trips, letting it warm up every morning for 10 minutes, heavy foot? it might be the driving, not the car?

change the trans fluid and start looking into tune up options. how many miles when was the last time these things were changed: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter...to start with.

getting larger wheels will help lower the RPM's for a given highway speed and give you better highway gas mileage (in general). i've done it, but your speedometer then isn't accurate so you have to be mindful that it's "10% off". but i guess with 4 lugs your availability for larger wheels/tires is small to nonexistent.

• 3 months later...

ok... its been awhile but i've been busy. I did more work on my loyale: replaced again the trans fluid, added lucas treatment, tune-up and tried the band adjustment. (don't know how well of a job I did)

Took it out for a test ride and it still seems to jump/stutter from 1st to 2nd gear alittle, mostly when I push the gas pedal agressively. And it doesn't really downshift to the right gear when slowing towards lower speeds for stop signs and speed bumps. Test driving again and try the band adjust... about 4 times now, Really a pain to do and hard to gauge how much band adjustment to do. (I got a manual) I get around 3200-3400 RPM @ 55MPH (100-200 RPM less than before),calculated 20MPG using premuim gas & tires are 170/70/13.

so kind of at the same place as before... thanks for all the inputs/suggestions

did more work... it seems I missed one gear tooth when I re-installed a timing belt. Aligned the timing marks, confirm the timing is at 20 degrees +-2 @ 700rpm... and now it's getting better. it still sometimes jumps/stutters from 1st to 2nd gear and trying the band adjustment setas best as I can.

more to come...

ok... its been awhile but i've been busy. I did more work on my loyale: replaced again the trans fluid, added lucas treatment, tune-up and tried the band adjustment. (don't know how well of a job I did)

Took it out for a test ride and it still seems to jump/stutter from 1st to 2nd gear alittle, mostly when I push the gas pedal agressively. And it doesn't really downshift to the right gear when slowing towards lower speeds for stop signs and speed bumps. Test driving again and try the band adjust... about 4 times now, Really a pain to do and hard to gauge how much band adjustment to do. (I got a manual) I get around 3200-3400 RPM @ 55MPH (100-200 RPM less than before),calculated 20MPG using premuim gas & tires are 170/70/13.

so kind of at the same place as before... thanks for all the inputs/suggestions

haven't had a chance to try the band adjustment.. but the symtoms are premature shifting from 1st to 2nd and at slowing down to hit speed bumps and stops signs it, seems i'm always on 2nd gear due to poor throttle response. climbing hills i got poor performance.. always have to downshift to 2nd gear.

haven't had a chance to try the band adjustment.. but the symtoms are premature shifting from 1st to 2nd and at slowing down to hit speed bumps and stops signs it, seems i'm always on 2nd gear due to poor throttle response. climbing hills i got poor performance.. always have to downshift to 2nd gear.

I'm going through the same thing with my '93 Loyale Wagon... it upshifts way too quickly through all three gears, has poor throttle response under 2200 rpm, and doesn't downshift at low speeds unless you floor it.

It's as if the throttle position sensor is not functioning in the middle ranges, yet it tests good. I have a factory service manual coming and will be getting into this problem deeper once it gets here, but for now I'm shifting manually and it's much improved since I can keep it over 2200 rpm in 2nd and 3rd.

I will let you know if/when I figure something out.

• 5 years later...