Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-EJ Engine Adapters , new design

I have a question that is in no way intended to detract from this awesome product. In fact I am in the market - which is why I ask.

How has the exact location for the transmission input shaft been determined? There are no locator pins that I can see in the design - such as the engine bell-housing has - for precise location of the input shaft into the flywheel pilot bearing?

In discussing this with others at one of the shows a while back it was pointed out that many designs fail to take this into account, and it could result in premature pilot bearing or input shaft bearing failure if it were not fairly well aligned. It seems by the locating dowels in the stock bell-housing that Subaru didn't think the bolts/holes were enough to insure this on their own.

Anyway - I haven't made an adaptor plate before - so perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious that would accurately determine this without the dowel pins.... so forgive me if I'm completely in the rough with this question.

GD

How has the exact location for the transmission input shaft been determined? There are no locator pins that I can see in the design - such as the engine bell-housing has - for precise location of the input shaft into the flywheel pilot bearing?

GD

this plate was designed using the stock Subaru housings for a templete, done on my Mill with a digital readout, the dowel alignment holes are built into the plate, 2 large and 2 small you can see them at the sides in the picture, the holes are there its up to the installer if they choose to use them or not, you will need the 4 stock dowels from both EJ and EA housings, SJR