Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza 2.2 engine & trans???

I'm looking at buying two '99 Imprezas. One is a parts car only--no title--that will be used to pull the doghouse, airbags, and windshield from for the other one that I'd be fixing. The parts-only car has the engine and transmission. 112k I think. After pulling off the parts I need, I was just going to sell what I can off the doner car. I have a '95 LSi wagon w/ 225k on the odometer that I'd love to have a drivetrain swap waiting for, but I don't think the engine and transmission as a unit from the Impreza will work in my '95 because of wiring issues.

A) Has anyone ever swapped a newer engine/trans unit from newer into older? Is it a huge headache? (I know some have put older 2.2 in newer 2.5 cars.)

B) To sell outright, what do you think would be a fair asking price for the Impreza engine/trans?

Thanks.

Thanks.

the 1999's are significantly different. i wouldn't say it's impossible but they differ substantially. pretty sure the intake manifolds aren't even swappable from a 99 EJ22 to an earlier model (98 or earlier). and i don't believe the wiring is exact either, like you said.

i know someone that may be interested in the transmission should you want to sell it, he's in KY.

oh and you should sell the transmission for about $50. just kidding, i'm a bit biased (see statement above!).

Craigslist ads that feature working Subaru trannies run $250 to $650 depending on age and condition; unless there was something wrong with it, it should be right up there near the top of that price range. To insure a proper ratio match, include the rear diff for another $100 to $150 unless it's a VLSD in which case it's worth more.

i know someone that may be interested in the transmission should you want to sell it, he's in KY.

oh and you should sell the transmission for about $50. just kidding, i'm a bit biased (see statement above!).

But only if it's a Manual tranny...preferably with 4.11's