Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 outback catalytic converter

Hey there, new to the forum but looking for some advice. Dealer says that my catalytic conveter needs to be replaced ('03 OBW w/ 105,000 miles) the increased RPM's and lack of power along with decreased fuel efficiency seem to confirm this. What I'm wandering is, is this something I can fix myself? I've done some work on cars in the past, but not on this particular one. I met a guy today who told me that this really was a piece of cake since it's just a bolt on. He suggested buying a grinder to get the bolts off and then just putting it in myself. Any suggestions or ideas on this? Thanks

Welcome to the board.

If you buy the new parts, yeah you can pretty much bolt everything in yourself. The bolts do tend to get rusty. So soaking them in penetrating oil helps.

I will ask the question.....replacing the cats is rather expensive.....and I'd question whether they actually need to be replaced. Have you gotten a second opinion on the diagnosis?

Can you describe the exact symptoms you're experiencing?

Josh

You could always simply remove the cat, take a long screwdriver and smash all the stuff out of it until it`s nothing but an empty shell, then re-install it.

It would reduce backpressure,(especially if yours is blocked), and would also make a nasty sound. And....if you live in a place where they don`t perform tailpipe tests you`d be all set.

That, of course, would be environmentally irresponsable......and illegal....(and we wouldn't want to do anything illegal).

You could always simply remove the cat, take a long screwdriver and smash all the stuff out of it until it`s nothing but an empty shell, then re-install it.

It would reduce backpressure,(especially if yours is blocked), and would also make a nasty sound. And....if you live in a place where they don`t perform tailpipe tests you`d be all set.

That, of course, would be environmentally irresponsable......and illegal....(and we wouldn't want to do anything illegal).

You can't really do that with OBD2 cars as you'll get a CEL for cat inefficiency.

Hey there, new to the forum but looking for some advice. Dealer says that my catalytic conveter needs to be replaced ('03 OBW w/ 105,000 miles) the increased RPM's and lack of power along with decreased fuel efficiency seem to confirm this. What I'm wandering is, is this something I can fix myself? I've done some work on cars in the past, but not on this particular one. I met a guy today who told me that this really was a piece of cake since it's just a bolt on. He suggested buying a grinder to get the bolts off and then just putting it in myself. Any suggestions or ideas on this? Thanks

Try replacing the O2 sensor first - cheaper than replacing the whole CAT which comes with a new O2 anyway. The CATs should last much longer than 105K.

Symptom description would help with diagnostic opinions here though...

WHY is the dealer saying this? CEL code? Which one(s)?

Dealers love to deal with turnips, that's why they always throw out the most expensive repair they think will fix the problem, IMHO. They're hoping the owner will pony up and not ask questions.

GET A SECOND OPINION. Also ask for a full list of the CEL codes and tell us what they are.

Hopefully this proposed repair is overkill, which will save you some money when you fix what's REALLY wrong. If you fix/replace the cat and the real problem is still there, you'll just kill the new one.

Good luck!

You can't really do that with OBD2 cars as you'll get a CEL for cat inefficiency.

I pulled the CEL lightbulb out 250,000 kms ago....Instead of a light telling me to check the engine, I just open the hood once and a while to make sure it's still there.......so far so good.