Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suggestions for new clutch

That seem like alot for a non-turbo clutch. I've put in three from autozone and they cost me about 125.00 each. The one for my turbo was 250.00, but that is a heavy duty clutch with a larger spline. Try advance auto also, but I would question the price at autozone. The three that I put in seem to work just fine and take a good bit of punishment.

Outside Diameter: 8-7/8

Spline: 1

Teeth: 24

is this the right measurements for the disk on a D/R?

mdjdc: you've put three in? they can't be as good as you say they are if you've gone through that many. i'm looking for one with a lifetime warranty i think. the only problem is that with a lifetime warranty, i think you have to have it installed or inspected or something.

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom

warranty? do you recall if it was the same size as my above post?

we bought a new clutch disc, but a bad pressure plate ate it up. but the warrantee was honored by autozone

the one that we put in 86 subarus was the wrong size at first, but napa exchanged it even though it was open. got a better deal that way, as the computer was listed wrong. new guy at the counter..

wow any clutch set i've bought from them or any other company was like 125 bucks or less. if you are gonna spend that much. supposedly centerforce has one for our cars now. or spend the 300 bucks on a kevlar. if you are buying a regular clutch at autozone for that much... you are being ripped off...

any clutch i've ever bought was a lifetimer. realize also. lifetime clutches really are usually a lower quality. same with a lot of lifetimer parts. due to the fact they make it cheaper. not as high a quality, so they still make profit. would you sell the highest quality part/expensivest to make, that is a wearing part. not if you wanted to still make money.

realize by mdjdc saying he's put in 3 doesn't mean it was in the same car. a lot of us own multiple subaru's.

Hey guys:

I meant to say that I have put three clutches in three different cars and had no problems. Again I didn' pay more than 125 per clutch at Autozone. My hobby is bying seized subarus form the city of Richmond, rebuilding and then selling them at a decent cost so others can have reliable transportation.

Just a little more info about me

On the subject of lifetime warranties:

Here's the deal. Nobody is going to offer you a lifetime warranty on a clutch against anything you can do to it. If you install it and run it at slipping until it tears all the lining off your parts store will probably laugh in your face. Nor are they going to warranty it against wearing out if you drive normally and need a new one in 100,000 miles (or whatever). Clutches are DESIGNED to wear! The lifetime warranty is against manufacturer defects - like a bad spring, etc.

The other way you can get caught, even on a legitimate warranty, is if you don't retain your receipt. KEEP ALL RECEIPTS!

NAPA's warranty is 12 months on clutches BTW

Partsman

88 Subaru GL wagon 5spd D/R

I know I paid more than I should for a clutch..............but I needed it like YESTERDAY and availability was more important.............I have been driving my V8 powered truck, 4 days to work has cost me $25...........that same $25 would last me 3 weeks in my Soob.

I didn't care about the warranty......but I kept my receipts anyway, you never know......;)

I don't expect another 100k miles from my car....the motor will be trash by then and I can get a replacement for just a little less than what I am spending now on this engine ( I know, go figure......hey, I'm not a mechanic)..........I'm sure the clucth will be cooked by then.........but, I have 62k miles on the clutch I just pulled out.....lining is good, pressure plate, BAD....no big.....:D