Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 EA82 carb wagon and 1988 EA82 turbo coupe

levonspradlin

Well, I am finally getting around to doing something with my Subaru. She is an '88 wagon in superb condition, with around 238k miles. EA82, Hitachi carb, automatic, minus driveshaft/rear axle. I found another '88 donor car, a hatch with the EA82 turbo FI engine. The hatch has only around 130k miles.

What is out of the question as far as a swap? I would like the FI system on the wagon, unless swapping the engines is going to be same amount of work. If the transmission is compatible, it would be nice to swap the slushbox for a manual. Are the rear axle and driveshaft the same? If I go for the whole engine, I would probably have to replace many little bits as the coupe sat a few years longer in a moist environment. It lost much of the exhaust and some of the lower body, but it was neglected anyway. The wagon is almost complete as far as the body. It only needs a single trim piece, windshield and a headlight to look good for an '88 wagon. The coupe is also severely dented and banged up on the body. Are the windshields the same?

I know the lighter hatch would be a more fun sport project, but I have a ways preferred wagons.

I don't believe any carbed EA82s were made in 88.

Are you sure it is an 88?

Are you possibly mistaking the single injector throttle body for a carb?

Or someone has dropped a carbed engine into it, which is possible I suppose.

Headlights, windshield, the whole front end is the same Coupe vs. Wagon, but the engine are drastically different.

That Turbo Coupe is likely an RX, a rare collectible car. You may want to think about keeping it, or parting out the valuable bits like trans, rear end, and rear supension/brakes

The RX is really in need of attention. I am not up for another restoration.

I already have plans to swap out the drums for discs on my wagon. Are the wheelbases the same? Could I take the rear axle and driveshaft directly to the wagon from the RX? Once I have all I want from the wagon, the RX is going, either to the scrappers or someone who would want to start with a rough shell to restore. But that's a while down the road...

Is it worth putting the five-speed and turbo engine in the wagon? I want FI in the wagon, but thought the Hitachi was a carb. Maybe the engine is not original. In that case, swapping in the turbo would be highly considered. Original is usually my preference, but that may be my route now.

The RX is really in need of attention. I am not up for another restoration.

I already have plans to swap out the drums for discs on my wagon. Are the wheelbases the same? Could I take the rear axle and driveshaft directly to the wagon from the RX? Once I have all I want from the wagon, the RX is going, either to the scrappers or someone who would want to start with a rough shell to restore. But that's a while down the road...

Is it worth putting the five-speed and turbo engine in the wagon? I want FI in the wagon, but thought the Hitachi was a carb. Maybe the engine is not original. In that case, swapping in the turbo would be highly considered. Original is usually my preference, but that may be my route now.

The transmission and rear end have a differenent ratio than the non turbo wagon. You would have to swap both, which would be a nice swap. Full time D/R AWD.

swapping engines, most peopple would say better to swap an EJ22 than do all the rewiring and converting to MPFI/Turbo(front crossmemeber needs swapped)

Well, I am finally getting around to doing something with my Subaru. She is an '88 wagon in superb condition, with around 238k miles. EA82, Hitachi carb, automatic, minus driveshaft/rear axle..

Last year for carbs was 87. Either you have SPFI, it's a swap of some kind, or it's not an 88.

I found another '88 donor car, a hatch with the EA82 turbo FI engine. The hatch has only around 130k miles.

Might be an RX, but then again it's probably not. There were non-RX turbo coupe's made. If it's white with the D/R 5 speed and diff-lock then it's probably an RX or close to one.

What is out of the question as far as a swap? I would like the FI system on the wagon, unless swapping the engines is going to be same amount of work.

Turbo's use dual port heads so you would have to swap the heads, cams, and the entire electrical system. Also upgrade the fuel system, and change the fuel tank to a baffled tank if you really do have a carbed wagon.

If the transmission is compatible, it would be nice to swap the slushbox for a manual. Are the rear axle and driveshaft the same? .

Driveshaft is two-peice and the rear section is the same. You will have to change to the 5 speed front section. The rest should be similar. You will have to bypass the neutral safety switch by jumpering the terminals in the plug that goes to the old auto shifter.

If I go for the whole engine, I would probably have to replace many little bits as the coupe sat a few years longer in a moist environment. It lost much of the exhaust and some of the lower body, but it was neglected anyway. The wagon is almost complete as far as the body. It only needs a single trim piece, windshield and a headlight to look good for an '88 wagon. The coupe is also severely dented and banged up on the body.

More work that you realize. Too much to be worth it really.

Are the windshields the same?

Yes.

I know the lighter hatch would be a more fun sport project, but I have a ways preferred wagons.

Heh. Well, if it's something you really, really want..... it can be done. But it's not worth it for an EA82 wagon.... IMO. Swaps of this magnitude are rarely a good idea. You are basically talking about gutting both cars and building a whole new one using all the business end of one, and the body of the other. HUGE job. Do so searches on the subject.

GD

The wagon's engine bay has some wires and such that are not connected, so I am thinking that the engine is not its original.

The coupe is a white RX, looks to be original. The owner said the car was not modified, just repaired and maintained occasionally in the years he had it.

Maybe my ideas were a bit out there, but I wanted to get a better idea of what was possible and how much work would be involved. I may just put a Webber on the current engine, take a few parts off the RX and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I dig into the wagon, the more I think that a transplant may be a viable solution now. Working with the carb, I can get it close to a reasonable idle, but it probably needs a rebuild.

Now the bad. The engine leaks oil, but only when it runs. :) I had swayed away from the swap, thinking that the wagon's carbed engine was a good starting point. Now, I am considering more and more taking the drivetrain out of the RX and replacing parts when it is out. The drivetrain looks a bit better than that of the wagon. Having a FI turbo and a manual DR transmission would be nice, now it may be a viable solution.

Here's the specs of each:

1988 GL wagon 4WD (blue) excellent body condition

EA82 carbed (probably a swap, half-assed)

Automatic, missing rear axle and driveshaft

1988 RX turbo (white) crap body condition

EA82 FI turbo

Manual, dual range, 4WD

You'll be best in the long run if you do the swap to meticulously pull ever stitch of wiring from the RX, label it and place it in a safe place. You'll need to put it in the wagon to run everything correctly. You'll need to fuel pump as well. Since the wagon is an auto you'll use the complete driveshaft, and trans crossmember from the coupe. Also IIRC all rx's had a rear lsd, use that and swap the rear disc brakes to the wagon.

Also, keep in mind that the ea82t doesn't have the best track record with modifications.

I tend to stay close to stock with drivetrain, so the turbo EA82 should be fine.

I had thought that the RX and GL had different gearing in the rear diff. I had planned to keep the auto, so my wife could drive it occasionally. Once it is running, it will be driven occasionally. My wife has a nice new car and I ride a motorcycle daily. This is mostly for really bad weather days and when my daughter stays home with me while mom goes out.

Headlights, windshield, the whole front end is the same Coupe vs. Wagon, but the engine are drastically different.

no disrespect to the massive amt of knowledge with Gloyale and G.D. but i believe the windshield is a taller one in the RX than in the wagon (i've measured, trying to take A-pillars from a wagon to fix the rusted out ones on my RX) by about 1.5 inches

no disrespect to the massive amt of knowledge with Gloyale and G.D. but i believe the windshield is a taller one in the RX than in the wagon (i've measured, trying to take A-pillars from a wagon to fix the rusted out ones on my RX) by about 1.5 inches

It's true. When I had my windshield repaired, they accidentally ordered a windshield for a wagon, and it was too short.

Ditto on the windshield. RX and GL are different.

As for swapping the EA82T into the GL, I really dont suggest it.

There are so many things that would need to be done. From the fuel system to the electrical to structural. If this is your first Subaru and have meduim mechanical skills, it would still be a challenge.

And even tho I've been a staunch supporter of the EA82T for years......

its not worth the hassle, IMHO.

Better off going with a SPFI or a EJ.

If I swapped in an EJ engine, would I still be in the same situation? I would still have to get the wiring harness, right? Would the EJ engine fit with my automatic transmission? Would the EA fuel system work with and EJ engine? Would the EJ be a tighter fit in the GL bay?

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to start taking parts off the RX for my GL. What engine bits are compatible? I was thinking about taking the alternator, compressor, power steering and some other bits. I think it was parked due to a cooling issue, a water pump failure I think. Would the heads be any better than the non-turbo?

If I take the rear axle, can I change the gears to match the 4EAT? How difficult is a rear disc brake conversion? Is it worth the trouble?

The interior is not in any shape I would want to fuss with. The GL is in good shape overall.

The engine sounds smooth, when I can get it to idle low enough. I have the carb disassembled right now for cleaning and rebuilding. The left cylinder head is leaking oil on the exhaust, fairly large amounts. I will probably remove the heads and replace the gaskets, doing the timing kit and new valve cover gaskets as well, new valve cover gaskets. Is there anything else I should consider giving attention while I am in there?

You don't have a 4eat in your GL. You have a 3AT. 4EAT only came in XTs and Turbo GL/RX/Loyale. 4EAT needs computer and a TP signal from the engine to run right.

You said missing rear axles and driveshaft? Are you sure you have a 4wd trans in there? The front half of the driveshaft would need to be there till or all the trans fluid would be leaking out. If there is no driveshaft there, look at the rear of the trans. Is there an Output?

Mine is a 4WD model, with an engine swap. I assume the transmission is the original, but it could have been swapped as well. If original, there would just be a u-joint not connected to a driveshaft, right? My auto shifter has the push-button 4WD, but its the S/R model. I will look at the rear of the transmission to verify that it is the 4WD unit.