Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for info on vehicle speed sensor

Hey there vanagon people. I'm doing my ej swap in my brat and am wondering if any of you guys have done the ej-vanagon swap in California and passed the smog referee. I'm trying to come up with something for a vss to keep the check engine light off.

Thanks

daniel

Um random thought...take the bulb out for the ECS light? If its a urgent thing that could work temporarily.

That wont work. They look for the light to come on at start. California is an entirely new ballgame when it comes to emissions, they actually have referees. I am amazed its not a contact sport.

nipper

Thanks guys for the info. Shawn I saw on Phinz's website that my brat might have the sensor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not going to rip into the brat until I finish chopping the legacy carcass in to little pieces and get it out of the driveway. I'll post the results of the VSS hunt when I'm done.

Yes, California is pretty strict about engine swaps. I will need to bring all of the original emissions stuff from the legacy and make it work properly. Luckily people have done this successfully before me, so I'm confident that I'll pull it off.

Thanks USMB:headbang:

Daniel

go to the yahoo list for vanagon conversions. They have extensive expierience and a library on how to get around this.

nipper

They add a sensor on the CV axle to trans area or make one in the speedo cable housing box, neither of which is entirely doable on a Subaru. You could add one on the driveshaft possibly. Smallcar.com sells one that might be similar in diameter to the outside of the driveshaft so you could bead it around the shaft and add the sensor.

Product:

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=78

• 4 weeks later...

I used a back biased hall sensor from Newark.com, PN GS101202. All you need is some piece of rotating metal to pick up on. I think the stock EJ22 is 4 pulses per tire revolution. I used the 6 bolt heads on my Vanagon CV joint. You could pick up off something on the driveshaft.

• 3 months later...