Ultimate Subaru Message Board

universal joints

mdjdc

I have an '88 GL-10 wagon that loves to wear out the final u-joint on the rear drive shaft. I have put two junk jard shafts on it, but I was wondering if anyone has a line on replacing the joints. My tranny guy says they are not repalceable, but I have found much useful info on this board. Let me know if you have any info for me

Thanks

Mike

I'm going to go to the junk yard and pull a few for spares if I cannot get this one fixed.

They are not servicable as they sit now. They can be removed and replaced with an aftermarket u-joint. Can be spendy depending on the driveline shop that does it. If you keep blowing the rear joint I'd look at the rear diff Might have pinion issues.

My local (Kalispell, MT) indie replaced both mine for $50.00 plus parts. I recall the whole job coming to just a bit over a Cee note.

Driven on 'em for three years now with no problems, 'cept a slight vibration at about 75 mph, so I think the balance isn't perfect.

They are replaceable.

My Dad has replaced two of them for me in his shop: one from the front half, one on the rear of an EA-82 shaft.

Granted, they are staked in, but the joint comes with instuctions on how to install it. as i recall you'll need a REALLY bfh :D and a good bench vice.

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/

Part Number 430-10.

The joints are excellent quality, and are even regreasable.

Rockwell's stuff can be bought at a good parts house. Mine were $50 CDN each <like 2 dollars USD :lol:> out the door.

If they can't find Subaru in the application, just use the part number. As a side note, Jaguar uses these same joints in all their old XJ-x series cars up to mid 90's... those beasts weigh like up to 5000lbs and the independent rears are good to 500hp, so i figure these joints are strong!

However as Qman said, you need to find out what's blowin 'em in the first place.

Good Luck