Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Is Sea Foam?

Per Sea Foam’s MSDS:

Pale Oil - 40 to 60%

Naphtha - 25 to 35%

IPA - 10 to 20%

Pale Oil - A petroleum lubricating or process oil refined until its color (measured by transmitted light) is straw to pale yellow.

Naphtha - Coleman Fuel

IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol or commonly known as Rubbing Alcohol

Folks, there ain't nothing special about this stuff!!!!!

Nothing Special... You probably couldn't buy All 3 of those and Mix them up for $4.99

Also There is a huge benefit to using (not only do you get to smoke out your neighbors) but you get better performance, Gas Mileage, and smoother Acceleration... Proven!

individualy maybe not.but when mixed with carbon deposits its heaven(because it makes them disappear).if you wish to buy your own individual chemicals go ahead.but you will find it difficult to accomplish a consistency level that they have reached without specific dispensing machinery.

now,the better question is what can seafoam do for you............try it.i have in several different types of engines,motors.from 1/2 hp to 300+ hp.have found conclusive results with all of them.will the environmentalist love me when they see me doing it......no.but in the longrun the cleansing that is accomplished internally will actually reduce certain types of emissions.and being a petroleum based product it is also a lubricant.so it is safer to run through than a detergant base.

anyway you slice the cake i have used it and will continue to for as long as i can buy it.and when i cannot buy it anymore i will find a source and stock up.

IE:55 year old bulldozer that a gentleman got tired of sprying ether down the throat on.(diesel,big no no)agonizing about taking it to the shop.we cleaned the injection pump nozzles,lines and injectors.pretty much the whole damn thing.granted we had to remove the pump and basically do a redneck rebuild.we were very far away from everything at the time.replaced a few o-rings with what we could find around the place.vavoom.the lubrication characteristics allowed the older pump to work more efficiently and therefore fire almost instantaneously.

believ in it or not.it works.especially if you have to go through emissions and do not have the dough to lay down for a new this or new that.it has helped alot of folks on this board in ways like that.

it also works as a winterizing agent.i use it in my lawnmower,tiller,weedeaters,and motorcycles.and instead of having to drain the preservative out , you just add fuel.

i could go on and on.try it before you slam it.cheers, brian

this one's my favorite reason ^^^ :banana:

not just the neighbors, the whole stinkin block :headbang:

chris

I had My entire complex pretty much smoked out.... I made a little device that allows me to drive the car While Seafoaming it... I just do a few laps around the Complex and I'm done.

I ususlly pour about a third of a bottle right into the carb as the engine is running. Slowly so as not to stall the engine. Then at the last I purposely pour alot into the carb to stall the engine. Let her sit for about ten minuts, start her up and go for a really interesting ride around the block. The other two thirds of the bottle goes into the gas tank. This works really good for me.

I love the stuff.

went out and bought some poured about half in the tank the other half I ran through the intake on my legcy. this car has some blow by issues probably bad rings and valve seals at stop lights the car would literally fill with smoke. to the point where I didnt like to drive it. Well today after I did then treatment I noticed one of my tires was low so while I aired it up I let it idle just to see what it would do. When I got in afterwards there was not a hint of smoke or the usual acrid smell of burned oil. +1 for sea foam next I'll use some on my brat.:clap:

Nothing Special... You probably couldn't buy All 3 of those and Mix them up for $4.99

Also There is a huge benefit to using (not only do you get to smoke out your neighbors) but you get better performance, Gas Mileage, and smoother Acceleration... Proven!

I’m not knocking SeaFoam......Roll yer own. It couldn’t be simpler! I’d be shocked if you couldn’t make it for way under a dollar a pint. When I get a chance, I’ll run down to Wally World and see what it can really be made for.

BTW, Pale Oil is non detergent oil.

Like I said, Nothing Special

What the heck? Nothing Special? Ummmm......yeah. Sea Foam has been around since my dad was a teenager(he is now in his 60's), if that tells you anything. He had a cousin who built and blueprinted engines and he swore by this stuff. As a matter of fact, that is what prompted me to use it for the first time, about 4 years ago. Sea Foam is some of the best stuff out there and as far as I know, they haven't changed their formula. So unless you're a chemist, and are going to invent something better, don't be "That Guy" and hate on a product that really works.

Patrick

How would it be possible to add seafoam to a fuel injected car such as my xt6.

I think i will go out and buy some of the stuff today to add to my gas tank, but i was just curious as to how i should go about adding it to the intake....

You have to take loose a vacuum hose on your intake manifold(better choice) or on the intake pipe itself. Start the engine, and believe it or not, stick the loose vacuum hose in the can and throttle up the engine(holding it at a higher rpm so the engine won't stall). Let the engine suck out about 1/4 to 1/3 of the can, then finally let the engine suck in enough to stall(take hand off of throttle). Let set for about 10-15 minutes. Reconnect the vac hose and restart engine. Take it for a drive and you're done!(Well, almost.) I would strongly suggest changing the oil after doing this as some of the particles and deposits will wind up in the engine oil and will contaminate it. I hope this helps.

Patrick

My favorite method is to pour the seafoam in the plastic top of an aerosol can so that I can see how much I have, how much it's sucking up, etc. It's pretty darn hard to look into the can when you've got a hose in it.

Dave

It's pretty darn hard to look into the can when you've got a hose in it.

Dave

Well, yeah I know. but this is the way I was instructed to do it. You could probably use a clear coke, pepsi, etc. bottle(clean) or even a clear Dixie cup if it really came down to it.

Patrick