Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok guys, new findings....

When I woke up and left for work, i disconnected my battery. I figured 8hrs would be long enough for the ECU to clear its memory. WHen I got home, i connected the battery and checked for codes and im still getting code 11 and 13. Remind you, before I was getting only code 11 until I FORCED a code 13 by disconnecting my Cam Sensor. The Cam sensor is reconnected but the code is still showing. That's leading me to believe code 11 (Crank sensor) is old.

So I decided I would do a compression check. I pulled 2 plugs, one from each head (front pistons as they are the easiest to get to). I noticed immediatly that each plug was soaked in fuel. Fresh fuel from a recent attempt at starting the car not 2 min prior.

So that answers that. It looks like im definatly getting fuel. So I checked compression, first with pistons #1 and i got 120psi. Then moved over to Piston #2 and same reading at 120psi. IIRC these numbers should be above the 160psi mark am I correct?

The motor has fresh head gaskets. Heads were machined. Torqued to spec. No reason compression should be bypassing the rings either but I didnt go as far as doing a leakdown test.

After doing this, I checked again for spark and determined I am in fact getting spark to those 2 cylinders.

Guess the next step is to pull the timing belt covers and check that unless anyone else has anything helpful to add?

Thanks

-Brian

[...]It looks like im definatly getting fuel. So I checked compression, first with pistons #1 and i got 120psi. Then moved over to Piston #2 and same reading at 120psi. IIRC these numbers should be above the 160psi mark am I correct?[...]
Yes, above 160 psi would usually be expected for a warm engine with good ring sealing. However, unburned gas may have washed oil from the cylinder walls, somewhat lowering the reading. Also, was the throttle held open while cranking?

Still, the lower than expected reading might be from mistiming...

Guess the next step is to pull the timing belt covers and check that unless anyone else has anything helpful to add?
...so rechecking would probably be a good idea at this point.

So i pulled the covers and yep... it appears my timing belt isnt right. While rotating the crank trying to get the lines on the belt to line up with the lines on the cams, i noticed the mark on the backside of the crank gear. And noticed only 1 mark on the front side, which was the arrow. There were no marks on the front of the gear that corresponded with the mark on the back, so i MUST have installed it incorrectly. No other explanation.

Now the task of removing and reinstalling the belt. My back is killing me, perhaps tomorrow.

Fixed the timing belt. The motor didnt even make an entire revolution before it fired up. God its been too long since Ive heard the rumble of my EJ22. Almost 3 months.

Aside from alittle smoke burning off some bits and pieces, everything checks out okay. Ran the scan tool and all the vitals appear to be within range.

Took the car for a quick test drive. No overheating, no wierd clanks or ticks. Accelerates under boost as it should. Only thing left to do is put the hood back on and clean up the mess I made in the garage.

:)

The arrow is used for engines that require valve adjustment. (Some 95 legacy models, 96-98 legacy 2.2, Ej25DOHC(minus 96 2.5), etc)

When you adjust the valves the arrows on the cams point like a clock. 1/2 a turn of the crank gets you 1/4 turn on the cam.

Cyl 1 is 12:00 (TDC #1)

Cyl 2 is 3:00

Cyl 3 is 6:00

Cyl 4 is 9:00

The arrow on the crank (not the notch) is helpful in verifying that you are exactly 1/2 turn of the engine. On the front two cyl's the arrow on the crank will be pointing up and back 2 pointing down.

Of course that has nothing to do with your Turbo legacy with hyd lash adjusters but it does tell you what those silly arrows are for.