Ultimate Subaru Message Board

there are bad head gasket EJ25 vehicles for sale all over the place, they aren't hard to find at all....at least not if you're in an area with a decent subaru population.

use the search function there are a few very good EJ25 head gasket discussion threads.

my favorite ones are "it randomly overheats but i don't have the time to mess with it and don't know what's wrong with it". yeah right! they punched it up on the internet or took it in for a $1,500 quote and boo ya - off the auction block it goes before it gets any worse.

that's better than the hosers trying to pass them off as perfectly good running vehicles....then the buyers end up here. new member = awesomeness. getting hosed = sellersucksaphatty

BUT!

It could always be worse..............

I have seen almost crazy deals on Land Rover Freelanders (like $1000 for an 03, or newer).

Then you look up on the internet: Land Rover help, and end up here:

http://landroverforums.com/forumid_14/tt.htm

Take a look:

What to do with my lemon?

stranded once too often

03 freelander disappearing coolant

Axle broke, tire exploded

These are the first 4, personally I laugh at a couple of head gaskets.

my favorite ones are "it randomly overheats but i don't have the time to mess with it and don't know what's wrong with it". yeah right! they punched it up on the internet or took it in for a $1,500 quote and boo ya - off the auction block it goes before it gets any worse.

that's better than the hosers trying to pass them off as perfectly good running vehicles....then the buyers end up here. new member = awesomeness. getting hosed = sellersucksaphatty

You got that right! thats how I found this site, I purchased a used 97 Outback from a dealer, only to find out it had blown head gasket....

You got that right! thats how I found this site, I purchased a used 97 Outback from a dealer, only to find out it had blown head gasket....
ah, crack. hate to hear that but glad you don't sound too jaded by the whole deal. maybe we'll meet up some day if you stick around the subaru world (which you should, and i'm not biased).

i thought i read somewhere that it was resolved in 02-03.....i could be mistaken.....someone correct me if im wrong....:lol:

According to my mechanic Subaru has not addressed the well known head gasket problem to date. He says that his shop has seen quite a few and that the design of the replacement gaskets remains unchanged. So far Subaru's solution is coolant "additive", a band-aid approach at best.

I had a 99 Forrester that needed a headgasket replaced at 75,000 miles, just outside of the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty and Subaru of America essentially told me that it was my problem. I sold the car and pretty much vowed never to bother them with my business again. That is until my father recently gave me his '00 Outback Limited sedan. It's in the shop now for a catalytic converter (after numerous check engine lights for the notorious O2 sensors). It's a shame that Subaru is willing to treat it's customers like this, and if you check the "major engine problems" on '01-'03 Subaru models in Consumer Reports this is obviously an issue where Subaru leaves many of it's customers out in the cold with a well documented common problem.

It's a shame, because the brand has definite potential but it's hard to love a company that leaves you with the feeling like you have a ticking time bomb under the hood.

Wonder if a class action lawsuit against SOA is still feasible, even though they implemented the extended warranty, which allows them to replace a bad head gasket the "quick and dirty" way ,i.e., replacing only the head gasket that's leaking, and do it with the engine still in the car....not the best way.

(The tech at the dealership is not likely to take his time to do the job carefully, I'd say)

Possibly the extended warranty gets them completely off the hook, dunno.

Anyway, as I mentioned in a previous post a while back, a local, highly regarded indie shop that specializes in several Japanese marques, including Subaru, told me that the head gasket problem inherent in the EJ25 engine hasn't been solved with the latest head gasket version and the problem is due to a faulty design in the engine.

A question that I'm asking myself is whether it's worth keeping my Sube long term if I'm facing premature head gasket failure, and possibly the replacement of head gaskets more than once. Other than this one weak point, Subies are pretty sweet cars.

If the head gasket problem is endemic to all EJ25 engines, even those in the newest Subes, then head gasket grief should show up in the '03 to '08 models as time goes on.

If I were to consider buying a new or used Subaru from a dealership I would negotiate the deal and before I signed on the dotted line I would get a written warranty at no additional cost covering the headgasket for as long as I own the car as a condition of sale.

I also refuse to use a Subaru dealer for repairs of known issues such as the HG, O2 sensors etc. I think that if every owner took that stance maybe Subaru wuld get the hint.

Yeah - after Subaru of Puyallup quoted 1800 to fix a "head gasket" which I KNEW wasn't BLOWN, I sort of lost a lot of respect for them. :mad:

The car was slinging out out the driver cam seal and dripping out the valve cover gaskets. 10 to 12 hours of work (first time - if I did one again, I could cut it in HALF) and 200 or so in parts. :grin:

Hmmm - $100/hour that's shop rate.

he didn't know why

1) he knows EXACTLY why.

2) he knows what the dealer wants to fix it

So, come back at him with $1100, it's not like it's driveable, $1100 is a fair price for a lawn ornament that requires $2500 to make it into something. What about the transmission? Torque binding?