Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'00 EJ25 Swap w/ EZ30 or '04 EJ25

Tyroneus

Got an '00 OB w/ EJ25 Ph2 engine. Bad HG problems - about to go onto 4th set of HG's. Thanks to SOA they extended warranty to 100K.

Since prior repairs including upgraded HG's haven't fixed the problem worth beans - want them to replace engine. Understand that the EZ30 and 05 and later EJ25's don't have the HG problems.

How difficult is it to swap an 01 or later EZ30 or an 05 or later EJ25 into my 00 Outback sedan?

Thanks

the EZ30 will not be a direct swap - it will require wiring, which a dealer won't do (unless they are very different) and lots of smaller but easier tasks. although it has been a very reliable engine with no head gasket issues.

the later model EJ25's would be far easier. i'm not well versed in how many changes happened in the 200x models but i can't think of any significant ones.

the easiest solution is to get the latest model EJ25 that your intake manifold will bolt to...then it becomes a direct swap. my guess is that an 04 EJ25 would fit the bill.

+1 on all that... The EZ has a different harness... dealer's not going to go there unless you get under some lemon law or something... and get a new car.

As far as your car goes, they need to either get you a new long block or have the engine decked and new heads.... sounds like the block is probably warped and they just like wasting time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing an EZ30 swap in my '03 OBW...The only difference would be the harness, exhaust other than that it's a drop in...Note : you have to use the H6 front springs as they are rated for the heavier engine(about 30+lbs I believe)

They even share (EZ30/EJ25) the same ECU.....:banana:

I think in your case an '03-'04 EJ25 would be your best bet. I've had no issues at all at 82k...I just want more torque...and save my ej25 for a brat...:burnout:

I'ma show up again and rain on your parade. The EJ25 and EZ30 do NOT share the same ECU.

They are just programmed differently one is for a 4cyl the other is for a 6cyl.

Also you might note throttle cables,alt,a/c,radiator are different.

Note about the Ej25 '03-current have almost zero HG issues.

About harnesses I just saw an ebay listing for a lot of '04 outback H6 harness new for like $5.99 plus shipping!!! better jump on that one!!!

They are just programmed differently one is for a 4cyl the other is for a 6cyl.

Uhhh.. no. I've built both harnesses now. First, an 01 MY SOHC EJ25 for my 88 Rx and now an 03 MY EZ30 for my XT... there is a VAST world of difference in the wiring and the ECU. Firstly, they do not share the same connectors. The 2.5 computer has 3 plugs and 93 pins. The EZ30 has 4 plus and 105 pins. On the engine side it is different as well... the engine has 4-5 plugs on the EZ and the EJ IIRC has only 2-3.

The engine also is runs differently. The EZ30 has 2 knock sensors, 2 front O2 sensors and amazingly, coil on plug. The 2.5 has none of this, and no amount of reprogramming the ECU is going to help that.

You want a quick test to see if I'm as crazy as most tell me? Get both of the wiring diagrams under your nose. In fact you can just time them printing... the EJ25 was 4 pages of wiring.. really a cake job to build, took me just over 10 hours IIRC. The EZ30 is 10 PAGES of wiring... it took me well over 20 hours to build it.

EJ

100_1105.jpg

EZ not quite done.. the extension to the OBD2 connector needs wrap.

100_2259.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Uhhh.. no. I've built both harnesses now. First, an 01 MY SOHC EJ25 for my 88 Rx and now an 03 MY EZ30 for my XT... there is a VAST world of difference in the wiring and the ECU. Firstly, they do not share the same connectors. The 2.5 computer has 3 plugs and 93 pins. The EZ30 has 4 plus and 105 pins. On the engine side it is different as well... the engine has 4-5 plugs on the EZ and the EJ IIRC has only 2-3.

The engine also is runs differently. The EZ30 has 2 knock sensors, 2 front O2 sensors and amazingly, coil on plug. The 2.5 has none of this, and no amount of reprogramming the ECU is going to help that.

You want a quick test to see if I'm as crazy as most tell me? Get both of the wiring diagrams under your nose. In fact you can just time them printing... the EJ25 was 4 pages of wiring.. really a cake job to build, took me just over 10 hours IIRC. The EZ30 is 10 PAGES of wiring... it took me well over 20 hours to build it.

EJ

100_1105.jpg

EZ not quite done.. the extension to the OBD2 connector needs wrap.

100_2259.jpg

Damn fine pictures! you rawk!

• 8 years later...

Hello everyone,

After having dug on this subject for days across countless forums, I am trying to get a little help.

I am installing an JDM 99-03 EZ30D engine into a friends dune buggy, and have a 4E computer with pigtail.

What Im needing is an engine harness from the ECU to the engine connectors.

i have found an 03-05 ECU (6P) with its full harness on fleabay. Could that harness be used  if I solder in the new plugs from the 4E computer?

I have the JDM wiring information found here:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy%20Outback/2003/Service%20Manual/

Having another project of this same sort installing a JDM WRX engine into a kit car, Im familiar with whats involved. Seeing the harness'es created here, Ive been inspired, and am wondering what are my options. Could a USDM engine harness be used? will the plugs fit between model years?

Let me know!

Thanks in advance!