Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any one work on Bikes?

A '77 may still have points ignition. Take off the magneto cover, or whichever cover houses the points, and stick a hair dryer in there for a while.

Also, if your air filters are a paper element type, they will pass air about as well as a wet paper bag. That is, not at all.

No worries. I let the bike dry out, and also found a disco'ed wire. I also pulled the plugs and found that they were very well fouled. a couple had ash deposits...

but anyway, it still isn't running all that great. Now gas is overflowing out of the bowl and air filter on one of the carbs. it wouldn't idle very well either.

ps

it has electronic ingnition.

I used to have a 78 sr650 kawasaki It should have two sets of points under the cover also as for the gas leak the rubber between the carbs tends to dry out and shrink causing them to leak. The points can be cleaned by running some fine grit sand paper between them when they are closed, however afterwards you will need to re set the gap.As far as the carbs go if it is what i mentioned earlier you are in for a pricy repair. Oh yeah nice bike I always liked the classic kawasaki's andyou have the cast rims with the triple disks. I lived in california when the highway patrol was phasing out the kawasaki's for the bmw's and you could pick up a nice kz 1000 for about two grand.