Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

93 legacy wagon needs new frnt struts!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oregonloyale

oregonloyale

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • salem

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:59 PM

My front struts are leaking like a big DOG!
You can here the car riding on the springs when your driving down the road , Yeck!
Not surprising seeing as they have 141K on em.
I need to know if and where I can get new cartridges or if I have to buy the whole darn assembly?

#2 alias20035

alias20035

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Canada

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:39 AM

Originally posted by oregonloyale
My front struts are leaking like a big DOG!
You can here the car riding on the springs when your driving down the road , Yeck!
Not surprising seeing as they have 141K on em.
I need to know if and where I can get new cartridges or if I have to buy the whole darn assembly?

Whole darn assembly!!! The factory struts do not come apart like some domestic models.

Try getting KYB GR2 struts as replacements, better than OEM and usually less expensive.

If the rears are also original I would change them as well.

The full set of four KYB GR2 struts is $265 from www.shox.com for the 92-94 Legacy (they don't sell just two anymore). Be sure to indicate wagon or sedan when ordering, although I seem to recall that the KYB's are the same for both wagon and sedan unlike the OEM models.

#3 oregonloyale

oregonloyale

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • salem

Posted 23 December 2003 - 11:17 AM

holy profanity !
Well theres a design flaw in my opinion!
Oh well gonna have to cough up the dough after christmas, damn!
thanx.:mad:

#4 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 23 December 2003 - 11:56 AM

For those of us in the salt belt the cartridge is of no use because by the time the strut is worn out the spring cone has rusted away.

:banghead:

#5 hklaine

hklaine

ShadeTree Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:40 PM

You may want to check tirerack.com. For my '96 they had better prices on the GR-2 than did shox.com (and you can buy individually).

-Heikki

#6 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 December 2003 - 08:11 PM

How much are they for 96 Legacies? My car crunches on little bumps, so I'm gonna have to get that looked at. I have to prioritize my repairs by how much they cost at the dealer (got scr*wed by an indie mechanic) and how much damage is being done by waiting on the repair.

Bleh.

#7 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,576 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:13 AM

I suggest buying/replacing all four at once and not just the fronts. You can severely through off the handling characteristics of the car by only replacing the front or the rear. I speak from experience.

Yes replacing the worn fronts will help, but replacing all of them will give a much more balanced setup.

As for the cartridge vs. whole setup......It wouldn't be that much cheaper for just the cartridge. You should be able to get GR2's (which i highly recommend) for about $70 a strut....

#8 hklaine

hklaine

ShadeTree Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:28 PM

For my '96 tirerack lists fronts at $68 each and rears for $58 each. Those prices are for KYB GR-2. Front mounts run $58 each and should probably be done at the same time (at least in my opinion). So the set of 4 w/ mounts would run ~$370 + an allignment (~$60 ? at your local shop). I had a leaky front strut that the dealer discovered when my car was there for the spring guard recall. They quoted me ~$700 + $70 (allignment) for the FRONT STRUTS ONLY. If you are mechanically inclined it pays to pick up, rent, or borrow a spring compressor and do the job yourself. You will still need to have the car alligned, but you get hit for that either way.

-Heikki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users