Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy wagon needs new frnt struts!

Originally posted by oregonloyale

My front struts are leaking like a big DOG!

You can here the car riding on the springs when your driving down the road , Yeck!

Not surprising seeing as they have 141K on em.

I need to know if and where I can get new cartridges or if I have to buy the whole darn assembly?

Whole darn assembly!!! The factory struts do not come apart like some domestic models.

Try getting KYB GR2 struts as replacements, better than OEM and usually less expensive.

If the rears are also original I would change them as well.

The full set of four KYB GR2 struts is $265 from http://www.shox.com for the 92-94 Legacy (they don't sell just two anymore). Be sure to indicate wagon or sedan when ordering, although I seem to recall that the KYB's are the same for both wagon and sedan unlike the OEM models.

How much are they for 96 Legacies? My car crunches on little bumps, so I'm gonna have to get that looked at. I have to prioritize my repairs by how much they cost at the dealer (got scr*wed by an indie mechanic) and how much damage is being done by waiting on the repair.

Bleh.

I suggest buying/replacing all four at once and not just the fronts. You can severely through off the handling characteristics of the car by only replacing the front or the rear. I speak from experience.

Yes replacing the worn fronts will help, but replacing all of them will give a much more balanced setup.

As for the cartridge vs. whole setup......It wouldn't be that much cheaper for just the cartridge. You should be able to get GR2's (which i highly recommend) for about $70 a strut....

For my '96 tirerack lists fronts at $68 each and rears for $58 each. Those prices are for KYB GR-2. Front mounts run $58 each and should probably be done at the same time (at least in my opinion). So the set of 4 w/ mounts would run ~$370 + an allignment (~$60 ? at your local shop). I had a leaky front strut that the dealer discovered when my car was there for the spring guard recall. They quoted me ~$700 + $70 (allignment) for the FRONT STRUTS ONLY. If you are mechanically inclined it pays to pick up, rent, or borrow a spring compressor and do the job yourself. You will still need to have the car alligned, but you get hit for that either way.

-Heikki