Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Urgent: RX troubles...

Went to Wendy's on my lunch break. Had to sit in the giant line. Temp rose and sat at about 3/4... got close to the red. I turned on the heater full blast. Trying to figure out why it was getting hot. Got my food, on my way back to work, it started smoke/steam a bit from the edges of the hood. And my oil pressure went down a lot. Like just barely there. So I pulled into the fred meyer parking lot and popped the hood.

Now, I observed that one of my breathers (drv. side) had popped the filter element off and may have been leaking oil everywhere. Opened up the rad next. Had a black gunky substance around the inside of the filler neck, and on the cap. Checked the oil dipstick, and the top of it was a bit red (kinda like rust). Then after wiping it and putting it back in. I pulled out the stick and there was a sludgy type stuff on the end. Kinda oily, but sludgy and reddish.

I'm back at work, car is parked across the street in the Fred Meyer parking lot. Any ideas of whats wrong? Should I just replace the breather, throw some oil in it and drive it home?

Please post here, or call my cell 9056-277-524 Number has been reveresed to prevent bots from getting it. Thanks guys.

its what happens when you let dunces at work use your computer and you leave screens open. Doh!

Alright, Noah is on his way up. We're gonna take a look at it. I'll give you a call later if we need your.. um, services. hehehe

I'm almost sickeningly upbeat about this, don't you think?

Ok, here is the rundown. Big props to Noah for coming out and helping me fix her.

Because of the NA spider manifold I have on my turbo car, the turbo coolant inlet hose is tee'd into the heater hose, instead of coming direct from the Tstat. At this T, the hose that went to the turbo popped halfway off. Not sure how long ago this happened. So, the turbo wasn't getting much coolant, and the engine was leaking it. Thus the rising temps of the engine. Because the turbo wasn't getting coolant, it cooked a little bit of oil, causing the sludge.

Fixed the T, added some oil and coolant. Seems good as new. I'll keep you updated on what goes down after this.

Actually I think the boss is in the t-housing casting, it just need to be machined out, The tube is a press fit, but to do that would require removing the intake and taking it to a machine shop. You could do as Rob said, drill and tap it, but you would need to make sure that the flow rate was the same, so you may get a little thin trying to get the right size fitting in there.