Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disc caliper kits

I'm converting to rear disc brakes and looking for the rear brake caliper boot and seal kit number for a caliper that measures 1 3/8 inch diameter. These were supposed to be from an 88 GL-10 sedan but the kit parts are too small in diameter. It is definately not a Raybestos WK2019 kit.

The parts that came out of the caliper are only a boot and seal. There was no spring clip in these calipers. The 1 3/8 inch kits I have found have the spring clip included. It may be that I need to use the spring clip but I wanted to be sure before I order.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

There are two FHI part numbers for our rear caliper seal kits:

725191120 and 25191GA550

725191120 was the original caliper kit for SRX and all gen2 rear disc equiped cars it is the smaller piston setup and was carried over to gen3 cars (ea82)

25191ga550 is gen3 only and is for the bigger piston setup.

Unfortunately you could have either setup in most rear disc equiped cars..the only thing that seems certain is that FWD turbo cars got the smaller setup and 3 door RX got the bigger setup, all other turbo vehicles it's up in the air..

Maybe if you cross reference the part numbers you might have better luck finding what you need,

HTH

Kaz

There are two FHI part numbers for our rear caliper seal kits:

725191120 and 25191GA550

725191120 was the original caliper kit for SRX and all gen2 rear disc equiped cars it is the smaller piston setup and was carried over to gen3 cars (ea82)

25191ga550 is gen3 only and is for the bigger piston setup.

Unfortunately you could have either setup in most rear disc equiped cars..the only thing that seems certain is that FWD turbo cars got the smaller setup and 3 door RX got the bigger setup, all other turbo vehicles it's up in the air..

Maybe if you cross reference the part numbers you might have better luck finding what you need,

HTH

Kaz

I cross referenced and even contacted GenuineSubaruParts.cpm but no one can help me without a VIN. If I could find someone with either of the kits you mentioned that would measure the seal I could probably get the right one.

Wow!

Don't ask SubaruGenuineParts.com aka Chaplins VW Subaru in Bellevue, WA for help.

Chaplin's Bellevue Subaru

15000 SE Eastgate Way

Bellevue, WA 98007

I have a whole long email thread that ended by being told I was rude and they "would not help me in any way, shape or form."

If you don't have a VIN, don't bother with them.

Mark

The Subaru parts system is set up to require a VIN number, you enter the VIN in the computer, and away you go.

It seems to me:

1) they have pretty well all ditched the paper books in favor of a computer.

2) they do not seem to be able to keep experienced parts people that are familiar with, well, parts.

My local Subaru parts guy does put up with a lot of crap from me, but when I require him to go "exploring" through his computer, I have the courtesy to show up bringing coffee and/or gifts. He also knows that 9 times out of 10 I will be ordering something and with this relationship I get better than "trade" price. You only get out of a situation what you are willing to put in.

When you originally started this thread I pulled out and checked my Beck Arnley book, who strangely does not offer caliper kits for the rear of EA82 Subaru cars.

Raybestos offers 2 kits:

WK1954

WK2019

You say the WK2019 is too small, the WK1954 is "the bigger one" (the spring clip is offered with the WK1954 because the kit covers a wide range of stuff, so you may, or may not, have to use it).

Yes, I am finding out there are very few "old parts guys" out there but I have had internet parts guys pull a part and measure something before.

It is kinda hard to show up with goodies when internet shopping but I definately buy when they go to all the trouble of verifying a part.

I've also been trying for 2 days to get an answer from Raybestos Brake on line. http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos aka Affinia group. One of the FHI numbers posted earlier did cross to the WK1945 but I have not been able to find anyone with them. I had an order in at RockAuto but they canceled it because the kits were backordered.

I'd love to have someone local I could bug but the Subaru dealer here is pretty small and changes personnel often as well.

I looked at the WK1954 kit and wondered if that had the 1 3/8 seal in it. I also looked at WK1945, WK1212, D351212, D351945.

The WK2019 has 1 3/16 dia seals

PartsAmerica had the WK1954 so I ordered them. We'll see when they arrive.

The Subaru parts system is set up to require a VIN number, you enter the VIN in the computer, and away you go.

It seems to me:

1) they have pretty well all ditched the paper books in favor of a computer.

2) they do not seem to be able to keep experienced parts people that are familiar with, well, parts.

My local Subaru parts guy does put up with a lot of crap from me, but when I require him to go "exploring" through his computer, I have the courtesy to show up bringing coffee and/or gifts. He also knows that 9 times out of 10 I will be ordering something and with this relationship I get better than "trade" price. You only get out of a situation what you are willing to put in.

When you originally started this thread I pulled out and checked my Beck Arnley book, who strangely does not offer caliper kits for the rear of EA82 Subaru cars.

Raybestos offers 2 kits:

WK1954

WK2019

You say the WK2019 is too small, the WK1954 is "the bigger one" (the spring clip is offered with the WK1954 because the kit covers a wide range of stuff, so you may, or may not, have to use it).

It's after 5PM here now, if you like I can sniff around here tomorrow, at least getting the difference between the 725191120 and 25191GA550.

BUT: you will not get sizes in inches, these cars are metric.

The WK1954 is the same seal as used in the front caliper of EA82 cars, the WK2019 is the "oddball" only used in some XTs (the clip in the WK1954 is for the parking brake lever boot).

That would be great if you can. I converted the rough measurment of the seal from around 34 mm ID of the seal.

Update

The WK1954 is waaaaaaaaayyyy to big. I discovered I already ordered it for the front calipers and it was on my workbench. The seals measure around 58 mm or 2 5/16 inch ID.

It's after 5PM here now, if you like I can sniff around here tomorrow, at least getting the difference between the 725191120 and 25191GA550.

BUT: you will not get sizes in inches, these cars are metric.

The WK1954 is the same seal as used in the front caliper of EA82 cars, the WK2019 is the "oddball" only used in some XTs (the clip in the WK1954 is for the parking brake lever boot).

Ok, I was at the Subaru dealer this AM, #725191120, and #25191GA550, are good numbers, described as rear caliper kits, no size specs.

@ Raybestos, I got into a paper parts catalogue, probably way out of date, because my part guys do not "do" Raybestos.

WK1945 is listed as a rear 1 3/8 caliper kit for Subaru

WK1954 is listed as front/rear 2 1/8 caliper kit for Subaru

WK2019 is listed as rear 1 3/16 caliper kit for Subaru

Thanks you very much

Now I need to find someone with WK1945 in stock. It appears the WK1945 is also ACDelco 18H153

Ok, I was at the Subaru dealer this AM, #725191120, and #25191GA550, are good numbers, described as rear caliper kits, no size specs.

@ Raybestos, I got into a paper parts catalogue, probably way out of date, because my part guys do not "do" Raybestos.

WK1945 is listed as a rear 1 3/8 caliper kit for Subaru

WK1954 is listed as front/rear 2 1/8 caliper kit for Subaru

WK2019 is listed as rear 1 3/16 caliper kit for Subaru

Well, if stuck, you did say that one of those Subaru numbers crossed over to the WK1945, so with the Subaru number you can order one (or two) but they are "pricey" (typically 3X aftermarket). I did not check aftermarket availability, and can do so if you like (likely a week, there are not many Subaru cars here, though I have been surprised before).

My dealer here is small too, no stock, but available here in Canada (1 week, or next day with a $50 air freight surcharge).

They did offer to order them at the dealer here and it may come down to that. I checked 2 part numbers with them but at that time I was not sure about which one I needed. Now that I know, I can go back to them and order the parts.

I have a request in at RockAuto for availability and should hear something back today.

You've been a great help in determining the correct part number.

Thank you

Mark

Well, if stuck, you did say that one of those Subaru numbers crossed over to the WK1945, so with the Subaru number you can order one (or two) but they are "pricey" (typically 3X aftermarket). I did not check aftermarket availability, and can do so if you like (likely a week, there are not many Subaru cars here, though I have been surprised before).

My dealer here is small too, no stock, but available here in Canada (1 week, or next day with a $50 air freight surcharge).