Ultimate Subaru Message Board

operation samurai power up...

Rooinater

no, i'm not doing an engine change... the stock carb was beyond repair... choke was dead, a spring missing on the side, etc, etc... and ran like utter ************ with massive hesitation in throttle response. not just cause it's a 1.3L but it would sputter and tell me to screw off... so the solution was simple, order a petroworks cv carb kit. 44mm screaming eagle carb, with a true side draft into head. this is not presently my wheeler, but my daily driver for now.

100_0558.jpg

100_0561.jpg

100_0570.jpg

next is the exhaust in april. i have a doug thorley header and 2" turbo muffler. along with replacing the timing cover and cam seal...

IMG_6447.jpg

before and as the project went...

intake1.jpg

intake3.jpg

before

IMG_6501.jpg

air filter and crap removed...

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

intake taked on...

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6507.jpg

fully installed and ready to rock...

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

i've only driven it today and yesterday. unlike before, it now only requires one pump on the go pedal, pull choke, turn key and it starts!!! no more cold starts without a choke... i do need to look into posible a minor adjustment on the air/fuel mixture screw. one or two little pops when it first starts up if i give it the go pedal. as soon as it is warmed up or partially warmed up though... it goes, not like a V8 more like a pissed off mouse! they aren't joking that it will rev faster and gain power. i can maintain the speed limit on hwy 16's hills, i used to be 5 to ten under on the hill by burnham rd. now i'm just about the speed limit. 5th gear is now a useful gear. i can maintain or accelerate in 5th gear on slight inclines, or stay in 5th on hills i used to have to down shift. :cheer: :cheer: haven't driven enough to get gas mileage figures yet... but it can't be worse than 16 to 18 that my messed up carb was getting... when i got it 6 months ago i was averaging 25 to 28mpg...

can't wait for the exhaust to be installed... also on the list is the shifter and tcase sheets... the tcase shifter sheet is disenigrated and i can't use 4lo, unless i want to get the tcase stuck in neutral...

A lot of fellows in these parts, when the little engine blew out of the Suzuki, stuffed Chevette engines in there.

How are dealer parts down there, here, 3 years, and you can forget the dealer for anything.

Sorry, I have a kind of hate "thing" going on with Suzuki at the moment, they can't be bothered to sell me a carb kit for my Suzuki engined lawn mower.

http://www.hovermower.com/hm19s2.htm

Thank you for contacting Suzuki Canada.

Suzuki Canada does not offer such a product in the Canadian market. Suzuki Canada is a distribution company for the Canadian market only, handling products which are manufactured by Suzuki Japan. We have no direct involvement in Suzuki manufacturing or distribution activities in any other country. This site is maintained for customers in Canada, and so contains only information on the Canadian models, programs and promotions which are under our control.

Regards,

Customer Relations - Relations à la clientèle

SUZUKI CANADA INC.

(905) 889-2677 ext. 2254

A lot of fellows in these parts, when the little engine blew out of the Suzuki, stuffed Chevette engines in there.

How are dealer parts down there, here, 3 years, and you can forget the dealer for anything.

Sorry, I have a kind of hate "thing" going on with Suzuki at the moment, they can't be bothered to sell me a carb kit for my Suzuki engined lawn mower.

http://www.hovermower.com/hm19s2.htm

dealer parts aren't a problem here. i avoid the dealers at all cost anyhow... this carb setup was from http://www.petroworks.com. there's a huge aftermarket for parts, engines, lifts, intakes, lockers and just about everything down here in the states... it'll be more expensive to ship to canada, but you can get everything needed from the aftermarket down here. the only thing i'll be getting from a dealer is a new door and ignition lock set and a rear door strut... aftermarket, aftermarket, aftermarket...

keep your useless hate away from my post! i like the little zuki's for one, 2nd there's nothing about a problem with the damn car... start your own flame about suzuki in the off topic or nonsubaru area.... you pay to get what you want. that intake was 625 plus a 75 dollar core charge on the intake manifold. stock carbs are 400 bucks. you pay to play, not to cry...

and WTF! it's a damn lawn mower your complaining about... sami's aren't 2 strokes... the LJ's are... WTF...

sami's aren't 2 strokes

Suzukis were two strokes when you were still a "glimmer" in your father's eye.

And before that they were freeking piano manufacturers.

Good luck with whatever you are trying to accomplish.

a daily driver, and eventually a wheeler... lj's and older were the 2 strokers, sami's circa 1986 and later were never powered by 2 strokes in the USA...

I have a modified "water buffalo" in a Rickman frame that is a whole bunch of "fun".

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/GT750.shtml

motorcycle and cars are generally seperate distiributions, and you have to contact the motorcycle side and not the cars. any older bikes parts are almost non existant. i had a 78 honda cb350 and i have a 1972 yamaha dt125, and parts are almost non existent. which is why the yamaha is still in pieces after a blown piston.

HUGE improvement!

That thing should run like a champ.

I hacked op a 250k mile 2wd toy and under the hood looked kind of like what you did. I removed 2 arm loads of crap off that poor thing.

header,open exhaust, intake manifold, new weber. still a bit tired, but 100% improvement.

Im anxious to see the milage #'s.

Keep us posted.:cool:

toy11.jpg

which is why the yamaha is still in pieces after a blown piston.

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/DirtBike.aspx

there is more than just piston damage. the piston is easy to get ahold of, other engine parts are not. and the price of getting the parts after they have sat on yamaha's shelf for so long keeps going up... way past the value of the bike. might fix it eventually because it did get 80 to 110 MPG and is street legal... but can't do over 55mph... but for around town and local quick runs to the store... it'll save on gas money...

HUGE improvement!

That thing should run like a champ.

I hacked op a 250k mile 2wd toy and under the hood looked kind of like what you did. I removed 2 arm loads of crap off that poor thing.

header,open exhaust, intake manifold, new weber. still a bit tired, but 100% improvement.

Im anxious to see the milage #'s.

Keep us posted.:cool:

toy11.jpg

:slobber: yeah the next big project after the yota is either a yota or ranger prerunner....

i'll have a first full tank mpg #'s by the end of this week and another tank or 2 average by next week.

these have been in my garage for 5 years. not going anywere soon. when you get ready just let me know, ill reduce the price so they go to a good home.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86063

it'll be awhile till i get around to building a prerunner... still have a long ways to go with building the toyota for crawling and trails...

We should have taken pictures of the turbo sammi we built. It was an EFI one, we plumbed up the turbo on the drivers side, it ended up being about where the jack used to be. Would have been fun, but the turbo we used was toast, it blew loads of oil and woudn't really spool up. Most we could get out of it was a gust on hard rev.

Sammi's are tough little trucks. I've got a soft spot for them. Pity they were unjustly killed off by consumer reports.

• 3 months later...
The carb on my Samurai is pretty hosed up too. Love that Petroworks side draft kit but it's just more than I could bring myself to spend :(

Glad you got it on there and love it! Really cleans up the engine bay to boot!

was worth every penny, the thing hauls with respect to the fact it's a 1.3L. still haven't gotten the exhaust installed... still chasing down gremlins on my fuel economy... the front wheel bearings went bad, just replaced them. doing a complete fluid change this week. the disty is about ready for replacement, and i'll upgrade the coil at the same time. then i'll replace the rear wheel bearings just for good measure...

I mentioned this to Jared already but...

we do a nice torque grind cam for the sami. Need your core but it makes nice power for the 1.3.

i'll have to wait till my head gasket starts going... too many other things going wrong... i need to reseal the tcase, replace the ujoints, rebuild the steering knuckles, install the new exhaust, replace the rear wheel bearings...