Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice for new Subaru Owner - 1999 Subaru Legacy EJ2.2.

:confused:

1999 Subaru Legacy EJ2.2 (Anniversary Edition)

Recently purchased 1999 Subaru Legacy with 70,000 miles – previous owner did not keep proper service records. Any advice on how I should proceed given the fact that I have no service records. What should I look for? Thank you for your response.

interference engine so have the timing belt done due to age at least - it's 10 years old. timing pulleys should be inspected and replaced if noisy or rough.

water pump, oil pump seals and cam seals all reside behind the timing belt as well. everyone that does the job for themself at least inspects if not preventatively does them while they're in there. any seapage and they should be replaced.

have the trans fluid and coolant change.

general items are in order as well - spark plugs, wires, air filter, and PCV valve.

there's a small round $7 filter about the size of a quarter in diameter on one of the vacuum lines, i'd replace that as well.

that's probably all i would do if the vehicle is in good condition.

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to the items that Gary mentioned, I'd suggest that the brakes be given attention. You or a trusted mechanic should verify that the linings are still sufficiently thick, rotors are in good condition, the calipers aren't binding and causing the brakes to drag, etc. You might consider changing (flushing) the brake fluid.

I'm assuming that things obvious with visual inspection (tire wear, wiper blades/refills, etc.) will be seen to.

since you got it with no records i would pull out the owners manuel and give the car a 60,000 mile tune up, their should be a maintance list in the manuel saying what to replace and when to keep up with parts that normally wear out, and i believe that the intervel is 60,000 for major stuff.

Reply:

Re: 1999 Subaru Legacy – newbie owner

Glad to be on this site – there is a lot of helpful information and it is a terrific forum. Thank you for your response – you have given me a great starting point. :banana:

interference engine so have the timing belt done due to age at least - it's 10 years old. timing pulleys should be inspected and replaced if noisy or rough.

water pump, oil pump seals and cam seals all reside behind the timing belt as well. everyone that does the job for themself at least inspects if not preventatively does them while they're in there. any seapage and they should be replaced.

have the trans fluid and coolant change.

general items are in order as well - spark plugs, wires, air filter, and PCV valve.

there's a small round $7 filter about the size of a quarter in diameter on one of the vacuum lines, i'd replace that as well.

that's probably all i would do if the vehicle is in good condition.

Glad to be on this site – there is a lot of helpful information and it is a terrific forum. Thank you for your response – you have given me a great starting point.

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to the items that Gary mentioned, I'd suggest that the brakes be given attention. You or a trusted mechanic should verify that the linings are still sufficiently thick, rotors are in good condition, the calipers aren't binding and causing the brakes to drag, etc. You might consider changing (flushing) the brake fluid.

I'm assuming that things obvious with visual inspection (tire wear, wiper blades/refills, etc.) will be seen to.

Reply:

Glad to be on this site – there is a lot of helpful information and it is a terrific forum. Thank you for your response – you have given me a great starting point.

and the valve cover gaskets (leaking or NOT) :grin:

go take a look at the recent timing belt thread.

Reply:

since you got it with no records i would pull out the owners manuel and give the car a 60,000 mile tune up, their should be a maintance list in the manuel saying what to replace and when to keep up with parts that normally wear out, and i believe that the intervel is 60,000 for major stuff.