Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No clock and it's driving me crazy

For all the features and accessories my 1998 30th Anniversary Legacy OBW has, it doesn't have a clock. I've pushed every button and combination of buttons on the stereo and can't find one there either. I bought a $2 one that sticks on the dash with velcro but I can't see it after dark. I've thought about replacing the stereo with one that has a clock but I think I remember seeing something about the alarm system or keyless entry stuff being partially integrated into the stereo. I have the mostly useless single DIN compartment below my stereo and I was thinking about replacing it with a lighted clock that fills that area and maybe has a few extra features of some kind like a thermometer or a compass or something. Has anyone seen such a thing or do you have any other suggestions?

JCWhitney sells clocks and cheap aftermarket radios with clocks in them--get a cheap cassette deck (20 bucks or so) and wire it in for the clock.

Oh, if you were wondering where the clocks all went--all Foresters from that year have 2 clocks, one on the roof and the other in the dash. Oops!

Originally posted by WagonsOnly

JCWhitney sells clocks and cheap aftermarket radios with clocks in them--get a cheap cassette deck (20 bucks or so) and wire it in for the clock.

Oh, if you were wondering where the clocks all went--all Foresters from that year have 2 clocks, one on the roof and the other in the dash. Oops!

The clock should be built into the radio on this model, but I believe unless set it will not display anything, unlike most others that will default to 12:00.

Which radio is installed?

The security system is mounted to the radio bracket, but the two are completely distinct systems.

Originally posted by alias20035

Which radio is installed?

I don't know how many radio options there were, but mine is a single DIN unit with a single cd player, no cassette, 6 radio preset buttons... does that tell you what you need to know? I can take a picture of it later if it'll help.

If there's not one in the radio and I can't find what I'm looking for, I may have to put something together myself. I'll see what JCWhitney has to offer. Maybe I can use parts from them if nothing else.

Did you buy this car new or did you buy it used? It sounds as if you have a 2000 or later model CD player. 2000 and later do not have a clock in the radio, as someonelse has mentioned they are elswhere.

You can find double DIN CD/Cass/AM/FM and in some cases weatherband units. They are factory and look good in the car. Used from $125 on up. The cd is a single unit, no the 6 CD changer.

Just my 2 cents,

Greg

I bought it used this past spring so I don't know what was done to it during its first years of life. I was looking at it some more today and I'm thinking I may just get a clock from some other car and try to fab a plate with the clock in it and just replace the useless pocket below the stereo.

There are quite a few Subaru Legacy 6cd changer radios on e-bay right now. I don't know if they have a clock though. You could ask the seller of those radios. I have a 6cd from a WRX & it doesn't have one. I believe the new Forester 6cd doesn't have the clock either. :( Maybe you should wear a watch with indiglo.:D

Link > http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=mikesdad77&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Originally posted by Crashton

Maybe you should wear a watch with indiglo.:D

Umm... yeah.... thanks alot..... ;):D

Seriously though, I don't like the looks of most aftermarket stereos but I didn't even think of replacing with a better factory stereo. The AM/FM/Cass/CD/Weather one would be kinda rediculous for me because I don't have any cassettes and I've got other stuff with weather bands on it and I never use them either but if I can get a 6 CD changer with a clock I'll be all over it. Thanks.

I think this Subaru (Panasonic) unit came out with the WRX's. It was also in a some of the Foresters. It's the 6 disc changer / radio / tape unit that so many guys remove. (I don't know if they are still supplying it or have moved onto some other model...see Edit below.)

It does NOT have a clock.

These vehicles have a clock in the dash instrument cluster, so they removed it from the radio.

I put one in my 97 OB. I then bought an LED clock (numbers about 3/4" high) and stuck it on my dash just above the 4 way flasher button. Canadian Tire Corp in Canada has all sorts of makes and models. I'm sure that Autozone and Pep Boys etc must have a lot to chose from. Surely, there must be some models that are lighted.

For me, there is usually enough ambient light from street lights etc that I can make it out. If not, I just hit the map light for a second. As discussed, I'm sure you could mount something in the cubby bin if you really wanted to.

Commuter

Edit - Ok... should have clicked on the link first. It's now a P131 unit. I have no idea if they have a clock or not. Just call a Subaru dealer (or 2 or 3...).

I just got an email back from the seller of those P131's on ebay and she said they don't have a clock either. Oh well, I'll work something out. Maybe bigger numbers on my stick on clock would work better. I'll let everyone know what I eventually end up with.