Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just got a gen 1 brat... (1978) need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 foresterxtguy

foresterxtguy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • King of Prussia

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

i am new to the vintage subies..

first the e-brake is stuck... the handle in the car goes up and down with no problem. but where the cable connects doesn't move freely at all.

second any good places where i can get interior pieces ...

thanks in advance

will have pics up soon.

#2 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Might not be the emergency brake handle. The calipers could be seized. How long has it been sitting? Also post some pictures of what you need. I know I have quite a bit of gen 1 stuff as well as other members on the board too.

#3 foresterxtguy

foresterxtguy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • King of Prussia

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

so if the calipers are seized... how do i fix that? can they be rebuilt or do i have to get new ones.

#4 Jonv23

Jonv23

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Muskegon MI

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

When I got my 79 BRAT, the front calipers were frozen and the rear cylinders were popped out and leaking badly. I think it's cheaper to just get new (rebuilt) calipers. Rock Auto has tons of parts for the Gen 1 Brats. The calipers I got from them had the pads already on them. I think they called them "loaded" calipers. I got 2 new calipers for the front, 2 new cylinders for the rear and new pads and shoes all around. You want to be sure that the first thing you do is replace the brakes! If you take it for the first ride with no brakes.........it will turn quickly from a restoration vehicle to parts vehicle!

Good luck with the project! Takes lots of pictures!

Jon

#5 Crabman

Crabman

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hey I'm just saying, where are those pictures?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users