Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Coolant Flush

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,995 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

My heat wasnt the best this winter so i plan on going over the whole car this summer. My question is as far as being the best method and cost effective.

Now IMHO i was under the impression that the dealerships did the best job. Theyve got the machine to suck out all the old coolant and replace it with new. Grandted this is 50 to 70 bucks for them to do but doesnt that do a much better job then doing it yourself. You dont half to dispose of old coolant and you get to keep half of your day. I dont like the idea of someone else i cant see working on my car but kinda hard not to spill coolant when doing this job.

Also does anyone know if when they use that machine at the shop that it removes the coolant from the heater core.

#2 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,995 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

#3 mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

My best friend is a mechanic and has one of those machines. First they put a system cleaner in to remove any scale and the car is run up to temp for a while. Then they hook up the machine and flush out the system and Yes it does flush out the heater core. When the flush is done they put in cooling system conditioner, which has anti scale compounds in it. The cost of the flush is worth it so that you get a good job done and get to keep your day.

#4 bheinen74

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

or...you can have my old coolant, which has the prestone 6hour flushing stuff already in it. It was new coolant last month that got the flush added to it. It still looks good, made my heater work well, and now i need to drain this stuff and get normal coolant back in. ...i can bring it to DM on a saturday you can have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users