Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition timing on a 1988 GL

Leggm

I replaced the timingbelts on an '88 GL w/1800 overhead cam. I set the marks to noon on the cams and lined up the marks on the flywheel. Placed the belts on and triple checked the marks. We have the rotor pointing to #1 plug wire @ 8° (posted on vehicle) & 20° (found in Chilton's) BTDC and cannot get the engine to fire. I have tried adjusting the distributor and even turned it 1 tooth in both directions but am unable to get it right. Any thoughts?

I did a compression check (w/Full throttle) on the engine the results are as follows :

1: 148

2: 150

3: 162

4: 152

Are these ok? Mind you, this motor has 262,000 mls.

Any insight or information as to what I may have missed or what to try would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

those comp numbers look just fine.

you either did one of these, or i have no idea.

1 are bot marks pointing in the same direction? when one cam mark is up the other should be pointing down.

the chiltons makes it look like they are supposed to point the same direction. but they have to be opposite.

2 you are 180 out. turn the motor around till its pointing in the other direction at 8-20 degrees, then take the rotor out and stick it in at the 1 agian.

basically turn the rotor around.

those are my two mistakes, that have screwed me for days at a time.